Arts and Crafts Morris Chair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always meant to add how much I liked the way you veneered some of your timber to get a quarter-sawn look. :)

I've not thought of using kitchen towel to apply an oil finish before; sounds like a great idea at a very affordable price. I seem to get through an awful lot of Axminster's cotton rags, not matter how small I cut them.

I know you can preserve polishing mops by sticking them in an empty jar with the lid on tight but, is there any way to prevent used, oily rags from going hard over night so you can use them again the next day? It just seems so wasteful.

very nice piece of work, Ted ; thanks for posting all the WIP pics.
I like the grain & the pale finish shows it off very well ; taking the time to veneer the non quartersawn surfaces has really paid off on the finished piece. The sweep of the curve to the arms looks spot on too ! Interesting to see how you rescued the back from the mistake - most people seem to leave their mistakes off the postings (we all do it - last week I was finishing the sides of a bed project & in a hurry picked up the wrong bottle of polish & had to spend the following morning with an old plane blade and sand paper getting it all off again. I don't feel quite such a ****dy fool seeing a few of the misshaps others have made). Hope its as comfortable as it looks, REgards , Catface/

OPJ":2ly16asi said:
Is that a Clarke pillar drill, by the way? I've always wanted to use sanding drums/bobbins with mine but they told me the chuck is of the wrong type and would possibly vibrate loose...? :?

Olly,
In theory, sideways pressure can loosen an morse taper especially if there is vibration such as milling or other processes with an intermittent cut.
However in practice, I doubt if sanding will loosen the chuck.

The best way to tighten the taper is to make sure the taper is scrupulously clean and to wind the jaws back into the body of the chuck. Tthen use a rubber mallet to tap the chuck on the end directly in line with the axis of rotation.

Bob

I love this style of furniture and that's an excellent article, thanks for posting it.

Wonderful work Ted. Thanks for very informative post. I can only hope that one day I will be competent enough to tackle such a project.

Gower

Thanks for that Gower. I find perseverance and slow working to be the key. With each project I have an aim to learn a new skill, as well.

I'll be starting my next Morris Chair project in a week or two. It's just putting right a major mistake that was made in one I made about three or four years ago :oops: More about that soon I hope.

Ted

Latest posts

Back