Arts and Crafts Coffee Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edmund

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Finally finished my second project. I based the design on a couple I have in my Arts and Crafts books. It's a Gustav Stickley / Charles Limbert style. I was going to put corbels on the ends, but decided that I'd just stick with the simple geometric styling.

http://www.filehigh.com/viewgallery.php?f=7291

Contruction is from American white oak. The legs are just under 2 1/2" square and have some really nice figuring. The top is 38" by 24" jointed from 3 widths. The finished thickness is just over 1". I thicknessed and planed it by hand from a rough sawn board just over 1 1/4" thick - my triceps are now bulging :D . My L-N scrub plane certainly does the job well though.

I stained the wood with golden oak water stain, sealed with blonde dewaxed shellac. The finish is synthetic copal varnish from Jenkins. I was going to use shellac, but thought the varnish finish would be more durable. I didn't filled the grain prior to finishing and perhaps the top would have looked better with filled grain as the varnish is fairly glossy.

Any comments gratefully received.

Cheers, E

Nice table,very nicely proportioned as well (you know,it "looks" right :wink: )

Looking forward to seeing the next project - have you planned one yet ?

Andrew

Hi Edmund

Congratulations on producing a very well made, practical piece of furniture =D> . Tables like that quickly become family heirlooms.

Gill

Edmund,

That is one nice piece of furniture. :D

So you going to make all the rest for the lounge next? :wink:

Nice work Edmund, always likes Stickly's designs, matching easy chairs & sofa to follow :?:

Jason

Thanks for all the good feedback everyone. Not sure if I'm quite brave enough to attempt the matching easy chairs and sofa (although I could actually do with them!) :D . It should last a while - I was amazed how heavy the finished piece was; although if I'd thought about it it wasn't going to weigh anything less than the boards from which I made it :) .

I haven't decide what I'll attempt for my next project - perhaps something with drawers as I haven't done that before. In the meantime I'm making a new workbench from the white oak I have left over from the table (if you haven't read The Workshop Book by Scott Landis I can definitely recommend it - lots of interesting history as well as pictures and some plans). Believe it or not, everthing I've done so far has been on a 3 foot by 2 foot table; I don't even have a vice :lol: I'm nothing if not versatile :D

Edmund

Back