Arthur price plane maker, help needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Toby
Yes these get used fairly regularly, I sort of rotate shoulder planes - I mean take turns using them, not twisting them on the wood (!) (also use a 073 Record and an adjustable Norris style 1"). Each has a slightly different feel and I enjoy taking turns with them. Have a half inch copy of a Spiers with ebony infill which I made about thirty plus years ago but I find the bigger planes generally perform better and the weight gives a smoother stroke over the timber.

Bench planes comprise a late Norris 14.5" and A5 and I ditched my 1920's Stanley No7 which I bought in 1979 for a LN No7 a few years ago which is much flatter and performs like a dream. I am in the process of making a gunmetal 20.5 inch Norris style from a St James Bay casting but I have to say that has some way to go what with other demands on my time. The infill is about 3" thick from an old mahogany fire door and has been 'conditioning' for about a year.

I will try and post the auction catalogue extract from the 1970's if I can find it...just to show the downward trend in prices if nothing else.

Best regards

Lawrence

Back