Army & Navy Tool Cabinet & a couple of tools...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orcamesh

Established Member
Reaction score
This is a tool cabinet my father-in-law found in his new house/garage. It did have more tools in it which he wanted to keep but he let me have the cabinet!! I thought it was quite a nice cabinet so I snaffled it. He has left me with a couple of old tools from it. An ancient rabone tape measure, a wooden folding ruler and an old wooden mallet. The cabinet would have come with all the tools listed on the back. There are a couple of nice drawers at the base of the cabinet. I guess I need to find somewhere to put it now and which of my own tools to put in it.

Attachments

• WP_000297.jpg
    WP_000297.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 268
  • WP_000296.jpg
    WP_000296.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 268
  • WP_000284.jpg
    WP_000284.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 268
  • WP_000283.jpg
    WP_000283.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 268
  • WP_000288.jpg
    WP_000288.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 269
  • WP_000291.jpg
    WP_000291.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 268
  • WP_000292.jpg
    WP_000292.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 269
  • WP_000294.jpg
    WP_000294.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 269
Hi,

Very nice, are you going to fill it with the tools listed on the back?
That would be a fun project, then you could hang it in the house.

Pete

Very nice! There is a very good reprint of the Army and Navy Stores mail order catalogue from 1907 - it's a huge heavy book, as they sold everything that you might need to set up home anywhere in the Empire. The book itself is out of print and not cheap but you might find a copy in a library. That would give you an illustration of what tools went where, which you wouldn't really need, but could be nice to have alongside it.

Also, I think you will find that 12" folding rules are much less common than 24" ones. Your contents list says "two feet rule" so it's a stranger. I know almost nothing about rules, but that one looks old to me and potentially prized by rule collectors. Do we have any rule collectors on here?

That is beautiful!

I too think it should be re-populated.

How about getting comparable tools and giving them to him in exchange for the original tools where they match the list...that is a start and it does seem a shame for historical reasons to separate the two.

Imagine if a past owner of the Seaton chest were to do that...where would we be now!

Jim

Not sure what I am going to fill it with yet, probably my own tools, and whatever I continue to collect (I mean essential tools needed for essential tasks, of course!!! :D ).

I'm not sure if the original tools were in the cabinet when my FIL handed it over. It certainly wasn't fully populated. Thanks Andy for the heads up on the book, I will look out for that. I didn't realise the ruler was so special either, very interesting. If anyone does have a fetish for old rulers I would be glad to know more about it?

Pete, "hang it in the house"?!!! :shock: Do you think SWMBO will allow that!!??? :eek:

Hi, Orcamesh

Give it a clean up and it will look good. My wife like the looks of it and would have it in the house.
I do have a big tool chest in the hall.

You could use as a spice rack in the kitchen.

Pete

Back