• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Arms!!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

A

Anonymous

hi all

After about 5 months of ownership, I finally flattened the soles of a Stanley #7 (1.5mm concave :shock: :shock: ) and a Stanley #6 yesterday.

Today? MY ARMS ACHE!!!!!!! Aaaarrggghhhhhhhhhhhhh :twisted:

Glad I got that off my chest :wink:

At least they both cut pretty nicely now

Frank D.

Established Member
Reaction score
Well Tony,
I sympathise with you! Good thing you don't have to plane all the hard maple that goes through my shop, you'd really get those triceps working!
:wink:

Frank D.

Aragorn

Established Member
Reaction score
Sheesh Frank!!! :shock: :shock:
Gotta introduce you to a bandsaw, fella! :?

A

Anonymous

Philly":1urygpfv said:
Tony
Any hints for non-aching members with metal bananas?
Cheers
Philly :D
My BIG tip is to use RS components website!!

Yep, they have wet 'n' dry for sale at around £22 +vat for 50 sheets. Use it with thin oil (e.g. camelia). I only go to 120 grit for a plane sole.

http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/browse/...ID=ukie&3287724445=3287724445&stockNo=4845908

I stick them onto a surface plate for smaller planes up to a #5. For the #6 and #7 I stick them onto a peice of kitchen worktop that was in the garage when we bought the house.

With hindsight, I should have bought some beer and invited 4 or 5 mates aroound for the afternoon :wink:

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
Philly":1w4h9vub said:
Any hints for non-aching members with metal bananas?
Yes, for goodness sake use the proper tools!

1. A surface plate
2. Engineer's blue
3. Files
4. Engineering scrapers

You can substantially reduce time with 3 and 4 If you have a long belt sander

Truly, to remove such a large amount of metal (1.5mm gap under a straight edge!!) using wet and dry for the whole job is pure masochism.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Mmmm... fluffy shavings... 8)

That's all. No great insights. Just needed to pause and drool for a moment. Move along, nothing to see here. :roll:

CSM Abrasives do 50 sheets of 120g for £20.65 and 50 mixed for £22.14 including VAT... :oops:

Cheers, Alf

A

Anonymous

waterhead37":2bzdt8jf said:
Truly, to remove such a large amount of metal (1.5mm gap under a straight edge!!) using wet and dry for the whole job is pure masochism.
I'm not that stupid chris. :p

Despite evidence to the contrary :?

I started off with a linisher (like a stationary, upside down belt sander) running 80 grit paper to bring it approximately flat before wet and dry time

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
Tony":3k4wv65f said:
I'm not that stupid chris. :p
Thank God for that! I was beginning to despair at the state of education in our universities having already given up on our schools! :roll:

I guess it was a senior moment - not remembering you had already explained this :cry: The trouble is I can't remember to take the pills. :roll: :roll: :oops:

A

Anonymous

I know exactly how you feel Tony. I've had an old Stanley No.4 sitting on the top shelf of my workshop for a couple of years that my Dad gave me (got to keep it somewhere out of the way of the power tools). Whenever I tried to use it I just ended up putting it back on the top shelf out of frustration. To cut a long story short - read about scary sharp, bought glass, bought different papers, spraymount, spent most of today on No.4 and a block plane I do use and all the chisels - sore arms, flat (well near enough so far) sole - scaaaary sharp chisels - curly shavings all over floor - No.4 now got new home lower down!

Col.

Midnight

Established Member
Reaction score
welcome to the Dark side Col...

:wink:

btw... if you see Alf headin youe way with the grease gun... RUN..!!!!! it's nae too late...

<note to self... think he'll buy that..?? :shock: >

:lol:

A

Anonymous

Is this the start? That space on the top shelf - what will I fill it with? A power tool? Hyperventilating - breathe into paper bag, lets not get carried away here.... Then again, would save electricity, be able to hear the radio, and those curly shavings smelt really nice - finish smoother than the proverbial baby's, better than my portable planer. What am I saying? :shock:

Cheers,
Col

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Col

WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE.

I'm sorry for shouting, but I needed to snap you out of that mildly hypnotic state as quickly as possible.

Cheers
Neil

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
Tsk. Poor, Neil. So used to having to shout to be heard over the tailed demons... :roll: :wink:

Cheers, Alf

P.S. Revert to the hypnotised state and smell the shavings, Col. You know it makes sense. :lol: