Argyl Chair (Charles Rennie Mackintosh)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeG.":12nuuhxy said:
I'm not seeing that. I see a split either side of the vertical member (it's hard to call it a leg!) which doesn't line up at all.
The split may not look like it lines up because it has been inexpertly repired but the grain certainly does. Pay up :D

I love how much good debate chairs encourage.

I'm firmly in the camp of "if it's not comfortable, it's firewood". I also have several part-finished designs in my head that may be another decade or so before being actually made.

Many much drooled-over designs are impractical and poorly made, cars, furniture, the lot. The constraints of time, cost and quality occurred back then too.

Setting is an interesting point, IKEA furniture can look a bit naff by itself, but a room full of it looks just fine, same for most I find. Deco is the only exception I've noticed, one piece alone can be enjoyed, a room full is often overpowering.

As for the mackintosh chairs, you'll need a large room with a high ceiling, or they turn into room dividers, but I can see them working in the right situation, not sure they look comfortable though, a few years ago I wanted some, not any more.

Aidan

TheTiddles":2eh6mbpl said:
I love how much good debate chairs encourage.

I'm firmly in the camp of "if it's not comfortable, it's firewood". I also have several part-finished designs in my head that may be another decade or so before being actually made.

Many much drooled-over designs are impractical and poorly made, cars, furniture, the lot. The constraints of time, cost and quality occurred back then too.

Setting is an interesting point, IKEA furniture can look a bit naff by itself, but a room full of it looks just fine, same for most I find. Deco is the only exception I've noticed, one piece alone can be enjoyed, a room full is often overpowering.

As for the mackintosh chairs, you'll need a large room with a high ceiling, or they turn into room dividers, but I can see them working in the right situation, not sure they look comfortable though, a few years ago I wanted some, not any more.

Aidan
I agree with much of what you say Aidan. To my mind the Poäng Chair is probably the best seating design that IKEA have come up with and it's been in continuous production since 1978, although I believe it's a modern Swedish 'take' on a 1930's laminated chair that looks very similar (I think there's one in the V&A...not sure)

I can see why you don't want CRM chairs...not much cast iron in them :lol: :lol: - Rob

Edit - some years ago IKEA did a bright red leather Poäng chair and footstool which was really nice...

TheTiddles":1gdj1upr said:
........As for the mackintosh chairs, you'll need a large room with a high ceiling, or they turn into room dividers........

That was their whole point; to provide a room-within-a-room for a party of diners.

mrpercysnodgrass - the seat rails are tenoned into the legs in the normal way. The second photo featuring the fastening method for the splats also seems to have a poorly filled crack in the elliptical splat
The chair is now fully assembled with the exception of the two vertical splats which will be tenoned into the top of the large bottom rail and screwed to the elliptical splat and the seat back rail. I intend to make securing the elliptical splat the last move.
Photos of the finished item will follow.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Final assembly with back splats mortised and screwed in place, the seat frame is made and in cramps for the glue to set. The upholstery will have to wait a while but I might try perching on a cushion when I've applied a couple of coats of finish to the chair.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    269.2 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    251.9 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    280.4 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg