Argyl Chair (Charles Rennie Mackintosh)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This shows them off a bit better.

Frank_lloyd_wright%2C_tavolo_da_pranzo_e_sei_sedie%2C_da_robie_house%2C_1907-10_ca._01.jpg

Pete

And I would have Antoni Gaudi any day of the week over any of them. He was almost exactly contemporaneous with Macintosh and FLW.

VweCehQ.jpg

L8Fp8HY.jpg

None of those CRM/FLW style of chairs and especially those 'things' :lol: that Mike takes a fancy to, remotely tick any boxes. This on the other hand, ticks them all 8) - Rob

Model 78 in rosewood and black leather for me.

Pete

Pete

Put good food in front of me and my eyes and butt don't care what is it on. :lol:

All the styles and movements have a place in the eyes of different people. Even if one is a little uncomfortable it can be tweaked without substanially changing the look.

The electric chair is about the only one I don't want to have a seat at. :shock:

Pete

That Wegner is indeed a very clean design.

I think the Gaudi designs work brilliantly in Barcelona. But they don't travel. Everything he designed, as far as I can see, required an immense amount of skilled work. And the cathedral is a tour de force - but will it ever be finished?

Frankly the Japanese have got this right. Minimalist rooms. Hardly any furniture. Create a pit if you all want to sit round a table, then you can sit on the floor. Roll up mattress means you can sleep on the floor, then use the room for something else. A rock can represent whatever you say it represents. Plenty of tea.

AJB Temple":snwgdcdc said:
Frankly the Japanese have got this right. Minimalist rooms. Hardly any furniture. Create a pit if you all want to sit round a table, then you can sit on the floor. Roll up mattress means you can sleep on the floor, then use the room for something else. A rock can represent whatever you say it represents. Plenty of tea.
Absolutely, bang spot on 100% correct! I've never failed to be impressed when I walk into a superb Japanese room fitted out with tatami mats, sliding shoji doors, a tokonama and a view over an immaculate garden. Gob smacked is only close - Rob

No. No, no, no.....a room without furniture doesn't do it for me. I can't see the difference between that and a bedouin tent with just mats on the floor.

No. Cushions were invented by wives as something to put on the bed, that has to be removed and put somewhere before you get in it. They were then eagerly taken up by hotels.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    175 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    215.4 KB · Views: 112
Mike G - I think the top photo may mean that you have lost the five pence !
After getting some great sketches from mrsnodgrass I've embarked on my interpretation of the chair. About twenty hours so far at "pottering " pace have got me to assembling the back and front frames but I have not secured the splat.
After seeing the photo I raided my stock for a piece of quarter sawn oak in the hope of minimising the shrinkage. The splat will be fixed using small wooden dowels but I may put two each side fairly close together. I cut the splat through the back legs before rounding off the legs as you can see, I think the round faces would have made the use of three pieces of splat very tricky. So far the more photos I see the more small variations become apparent between makers.

Assuming Ive posted the correct photo, there is a split running through the joint.which seems to me to show the splat as a single piece.

I'm not seeing that. I see a split either side of the vertical member (it's hard to call it a leg!) which doesn't line up at all.

image.jpeg
I agree that it fails to line up exactly but I still see the three part splat being very vulnerable to damage if fitted on dowels. I found Mortising through to be easy enough to to do but any shrinkage will show as a gap in the joint. As mentioned there appear to be lots of little (and some not so little ) differences in construction. The one I am suprised by is the joint between eclipse and vertical splats. I'm sure some are mortised into the bottom of the splat but this looks less attractive but stronger as a joint.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 96
People have been making things out of wood for thousands of years - how come we haven't perfected the ultimate chair yet? How hard could it be? I said "we", but I mean "you": give me the plans for the perfect chair please, so I can make it. But expect me to design, create and build the perfect chair - too much.

The local, traditional chair is a stool:
s-l300.jpg

These are still to be found in older houses, nailed together badly, made out of scraps, built by farm labourers. You can still sit on them, though.

I find it odd that there is still so much potential for new and different and exciting - it ought to have been nailed down (pardon the pun) centuries ago. There should be one, finalised, perfect chair, and yet there isn't.

I also find the "exciting" designs a bit like fashion - they look great at the time, but 20 years on all you can see is shoulder pads and flairs and laughable, insane haircuts. Art nouveau in particular, although I have always liked the art work.

Back