Argh, we have carpet moths!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardG

If at first you don’t succeed have a cup of tea.
Reaction score
Over the last week we’ve noticed the odd tiny moth flying round, didn’t think anything of it. We always have windows open so the odd insect is not unexpected. However, the number seemed to keep increasing....after moving a bookcase we discovered a large number of larvae husks and 2cm of Capet missing in the corner. Mrs G decided a full room spring clean was needed, so out come all sofas bookcases, units etc discovering more hidden moths and larvae husks as we go. Luckily the sofas seem to have escaped any damage, the wool carpet is obviously much more tasty.

Haven spoken with the local pest controller we have some spray on the way to kill any new eggs that may have been laid and some traps which will catch most of the males if any more still have to hatch.

So the moral of the story is don’t ignore those little moths that fly around and move your book shelves out for cleaning....

On the plus side I found some old books that I forgot I had which I’ll put on the for sale forum to see if anyone wants them (the bookcase isn’t going back!)

The New Carpenter and Joiner x 3 volumes
The Steel Square by Harold Ryder

Richard

When we had a similar problem a few years ago, we found an insect-o-cutor (other electronic bug zap brands are available!) left on 24/7 sorted it. We chose that over the chemical spray route largely because we expected the insecticide to stink!

We had to replace what seemed like a perfectly good 80 per cent wool bedroom carpet two years ago due to carpet beetle. We found bare patches in a built in cupboard, and moving one of the free standing, but bolted together wardrobe units, revealed that they had got under the wardrobes. The carpet was completely bare under one of the wardrobes. Some Googling suggested that there are three or four different beetles and it's not just carpets they go for, basically any fabric that contains wool can be a target.

Nigel.

Back