Are you going to the D&M Kempton Park Woodwork Exhibitio

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Day

• Friday 8th October

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Saturday 9th October

• Sunday 10th October

• Too far/Can't go 8-(

• Total voters
Well, I'm definitely planning to go... whether I make it is a different matter.

I've been planning to go to every woodworking show in the south of England in the last year; haven't made it to any of them yet.

Trouble is I have too many family commitments at weekends, so for me Friday is always the best day. Because I'm self-employed, most weeks I could take any Friday off , but I can guarantee if there's a wood show I'll have a paying client who *must* have the work done that Friday :roll:.

Here's hoping this time... :).

looks worth a visit and is closer than most others of the summer....and nicely fits with me already having the friday off work :)

m

Well I stand more chance of getting to this than the Tools 2004 as is a lot closer only ~100 miles each way :)

I need to check what else in planned for that week end, I get back to you. :lol:

I must buy some magazines, I did not know the dates and have unfortunatly arranged to go to a Rugby Club Reunion (hic...)

Bean

I will be going on Friday, have been to the last two and found them good

They don't seem to have much in the top end handtools ie L/N or Clifton and as Adam says the queuing for payment can get frustrating

Nigel

D&M have updated their website to include the range of lectures they are offering....

Woodworking Masterclasses Friday 8th Saturday 9th Sunday 10th

Free
lectures for all, limited spaces on a first come first served basis.

Trend Cutting Tools & Machinery Lecture Stand 109 First Floor

12 0`clock Routing Masterclass

An overview of trade jigs used for a variety of jobs, we will cover door hanging using the hinge jig and the lock jig. The staircase jig for making stairs and the various worktop jigs available for kitchen worktops.

3pm Routing Masterclass
Panel door making using the router with panel moulding cutters all used in router table. We will cover set-up along with the choice of cutters as well as the type of router required to do the job.

Record Power & Startrite Lecture Suite 110 First Floor

10.30 - 11.30am Bandsaw Masterclass
Alan Holtham will be using a selection of Startrite and Record Power bandsaws, offering advice on the right bandsaw for the job and for you and how to achieve the correct set-up and blade choice.

11.30 - 12.15pm Universal Masterclass
To be held on the Record Power stand located on the ground floor H1-14
Tony Rhodes will guide you through using a universal machine to its full potential. Showing the versatility of a multi-purpose machine and how you can benefit.
Featuring the Maxi26 universal woodworking machine.

11.45 – 12.45pm Woodturning Beginer’s Masterclass
Alan Holtham will be advising you on all aspects of woodturning, demonstrating
the DMl36 lathe and the accessories required for a beginner, also the making of a project. The ideal package for beginners will be on offer.

13.00 – 14.00pm Bandsaw Masterclass
A repeat of the 10.30 lecture for those who missed out.

13.00 – 13.45 Cast Iron saw benches.
Tony Rhodes will guide you through using a cast iron table saw and the features to look for when making your choice. Models featured will be the TSSP250 & TS300

14.15 – 15.15pm Woodturning Advanced Masterclass
the CL3 lathe and the accessories required for advanced turning, also the making of a project. The ideal package for advanced turning will be on offer.

15.00 - 15.45 Universal Masterclass 2
Once again Tony Rhodes will guide you through using a universal woodworking machine, but this time he will be using a Maxi26 and a 310S the larger cast iron machine.

15.30 – 16.30pm Woodturning Beginer’s Masterclass
the DMl36 lathe and the accessories required for a beginner, also the making of a project. The ideal package for beginners will be on offer.

Makita Powertools Lecture Stand 108 First Floor

1pm Mitre Saws
Correct and safe use of sliding compound mitre saws along with the features and benefits of this type of mitre saw. Plus an overview of the complete new range of Makita mitre saws.

And 3pm Air Nailers
Correct and safe use of various air nailers along with the different types available and which to use for the correct application. We will also cover the difference between compressors and the accessories required.

Dewalt Powertools Lecture Stand 109 First Floor

11am Routing Masterclass:
Richard Barnes shows the differences between ¼” and ½” routers and which suits the job, an overview of the complete Dewalt router range and there features, plus attachments and basic routing techniques.

And 2pm Radial Arm Saws:

Richard Barnes will demonstrate the Famous Dewalt radial arm saw the DW720k find out what makes it the back bone of any workshop, plus a look at the full range of accessories especially the dado cutting blades.

Well, I did make it for a couple of very enjoyable hours.

Had a good time seeing (and hearing!) some of the machinery otherwise only familiar from magazines and adverts. The new Record line-up is very impressive, as is the Sheppach range. They had the new 2010 table saw, which looks like a bargain, and the first of the resurrected Kity range in the form of a big Bestcombi.

I was almost tempted by the Record 260 planer-thicknesser, which looks like a very nice machine. But I managed to resist in the end. Still not sure I want to give up the shop space. A similar tale on the smaller Tormek - I was very impressed, but even at the discounted price it seemed a lot for something of uncertain utility.

I also resisted the temptations of the Bessey stand (but now rather wish I hadn't). Instead, I succumbed to the temptations of the Brimarc stand and bought a Lee Valley 51/4W bench plane to go with the low-angle smoother that LOML bought for my birthday a while ago. Added a wheel marking gauge, too.

Also managed to fit in a demonstration on bandsaw-tuning by Alan Holtham, which was both enjoyable and informative.

Ignoring a really horrible burger, it was a good time.

There are some real bargains to be had, if you're thinking of going over the weekend. The Record 260P/T was down to £399, compared to over £500 in the catalogue, and almost everyone had at least 10-15% off usual prices. De Walt had a big promotion that offers free power tools according to how much you spend, which looked like a great deal. Brimarc were running out of Lee Valley planes by lunchtime, but promised to sell at show-discount prices and mail them within a week or so.

I was told that there are more payment points than in previous years; certainly the queues for payment were no problem (although it might be busier over the weekend, I guess).

Well I'm just back, I had a nice day.

I sat and watched Alan Holtham's demonstrations of bandsaw tuning, and turning (beginners and Advanced). I reckon I've seen them all before but nontheless, I find you learn something new each time.

It was also nice to say hello to Andy King, and have a quick chat.

Brimarc managed to part a small amount of cash from me, for some Tormek accessories. Geoff? Brown was doing his normal Tormek demonstrations - I managed to catch him in between and get some tips on using the bowl guage and skew chisel turning jigs I got last week.

I also managed a hello to Martin Brown (Brimarc) and got a test of all the Veritas range. Lovely planes but shame about the handles - I prefer a more prounounced curve. The metalwork and finish on them was superb though.

And it'd be rude not to come away with at least a couple of Besseys. I got 2 x 1m K-body and 2 of the 250mm Kwik Clamps.

I also got NMA to demo thicknessing down to 1mm with the HMS260ci.

Avoided the burger van! (based on Pete W's note!), and the pay booth situation is much improved. Multiple pay points, with 3-4staff on each, and on both levels as well! They have that just right now I reckon.

Adam

We didn't make it past the brimarc stand without taxation either - now have the planer knife jig so I can sort out my dinged blades myself.

I was underwhelmed by the "offers" on the Bessey clamps. If we bought 10 of the 1500mm K-bodies, he'd throw in a pair of the wee quick release clamps - big deal, when the D&M web price is only 2 quid more per clamp.

Well, lets see what deal they offer at Woodmex tomorrow.

Best go sharpen my knives now :)

Martyn

Rattie":2he64mrm said:
We didn't make it past the brimarc stand without taxation either - now have the planer knife jig so I can sort out my dinged blades myself.

I was underwhelmed by the "offers" on the Bessey clamps. If we bought 10 of the 1500mm K-bodies, he'd throw in a pair of the wee quick release clamps - big deal, when the D&M web price is only 2 quid more per clamp.

Well, lets see what deal they offer at Woodmex tomorrow.

Best go sharpen my knives now :)

Martyn

Oh well, if they do them cheaper don't tell me. :? 8) I did quiz them on this, and they said to be honest, they can't really give different discounts for different shows - it's not that customers get uppity, it's the people running the shows - they don't like to think they aren't a "big enough show" to get the biggest possible discount.

All my pennies are now gone :( Trapped by the Brimark stand, tried out the Veritas planes - very nice but escaped any purchases only to be caught by the Tormek bits & pieces and like Rattie, bought the planer knife jig.
Next was the Record stand to negotiate the BS350 - success.
Popped up to the GWW stand and met with Andy King - great fellow, its nice to put a voice and face to the posts. :D
I think the show is better than last year with more till points but it's still a pain having to queue twice.

John

This is a great show overall. It is a great hand and power tool event. Cheap stuff judging by my quick resume, some lectures by names and a great atmosphere. If we ran a show I'd have to say I hope it would be like this. Paul and his team have the first thing right...no entry fee.

Dont bother with the burger van, get on the toasties from the van on the right as you go in. The blokes a bit odd (didnt like Glastonbury can you believe) but the toasties are great. At £3 you will do better elsewhere but....

Check out the clearout area in the ground floor area. There seem to be some bargains there. Far wall behind De Walt.

Martin

PS If I had bigger feet the £10 De Vault boots seem a bargain.

Martin Brown":3u637s1k said:
some lectures by names and a great atmosphere. If we ran a show I'd have to say I hope it would be like this. Paul and his team have the first thing right...no entry fee.

I think they have it just right - if they charged - I wouldn't go I don't think.

Dont bother with the burger van, get on the toasties from the van on the right as you go in. The blokes a bit odd (didnt like Glastonbury can you believe) but the toasties are great. At £3 you will do better elsewhere but....

Me too. Toasty was just right - and the food inside cost a fortune....

PS If I had bigger feet the £10 De Vault boots seem a bargain.

Hmm, I was wondering if a size 11 would be confortable for my size 9 feet. In the end, I decided it wouldn't be! Shame £10 seemed a bargain.

One bit I overlooked is that they have all the best bods from the mags. GWW sent Andy King for example. Most of the good people from GMC were there too. It is a great chance to bend their ear in my view.

I passed Andy a great fella who was building a longship in his garden. A really interesting story I hope.

Martin

PS Sadly we reverted to type and had the chips from van on left.[/img]

Latest posts

Back