are there eu specified sizes for certain types of furniture.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engineer one

Established Member
Reaction score
you know how it is, after the xmas holidays you get dragged by swmbo to the sales shops. starts off that all they want is a rug to go on the laminate floors that you have recently struggled to lay whilst trying to do the real work. but the rugs are well :oops: such weird colours and patterns.

so whilst she is viewing, you meander into the furniture part of the store,
because you have finally found that you only fit into one part of the sofa, because it has finally sagged too far for safety.

on the tv all these sofas' look so nice, then you get to see them in real life in the showroom, and you wonder how in gods name does anyone get them into their homes. the sides seems to be bigger than most side tables we make, and so you ask the salesman who knows nothing. so you go higher, and find the manager who uses the favourite phrase of modern times " its EU regulations Sir, the chairs and sofas have to be this size"

So my question is ??? is this true, or is it BS?

i ask because i do not know how i would get one of these things into my front room, let alone up some stairs. surely furniture has to go through a 3 foot wide door frame :? I know some modern builders have produced 3/4 sized houses, and some even make stair cases you cannot get a 3ft board up, but i have a ground floor flat built in the 1950's when rooms were a sensible size. with a 3 seater and a 2 seater sofa, there is no room for people, this cannot really be part of another EU plot can it :cry: ?

So the question is are there any rules, and if so anyone got a copy of them?
paul :wink:

I think the answer is BS rather than EU. If in doubt ask FIRA (Furniture Industry Research Association) or the British Standards Institute.

Scrit

You'd be amazed what you can get through a doorway!!!

Our last place was a flat at the back of a post office (used to be the sorting office in Bournville) and it had a door from the kitchen to the porch that was 52cm wide. The living room was the bedroom and vice versa because they couldn't get the sofa through it! I, on the other hand, have the northern skill of brute force and ignorance and got it through in one go (door could have done with repainting).

Our new house (1950's) has normal sized doors and we got our new sofa from DFS, with the theory "They can work out how to get it in". Sadly, they do it all day, every day and I'm not convinced it even touched the frame during the 2 mins it took to bring 2 sofas in!!!

On a separate note, check eBay for sofa feet. We got skinned for a small fortune by the shop and I've seen them on eBay for about £10.

Rich

Back