Are there any Antique Furniture Restorer’s among our members

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Just a thought that now that we have over 600 members there may be some one apart from me who is on this side of the trade.If you are please contact. its so cold out here on my own. :evil:

Regards
Norman

Norman
I have just replaced the draw runners in a three draw unit with a angled lift up top it has hand made screws (slot of centre) hand cut dove tails and old tapered nails if i took a picture would you be able to tell me more about it.

Hi OLD

should be able to help.
As you say a photo would be a big help.
What do you need to help with?
Regards
Norman

Hi OLD

Thank you for the photos, they help a lot.

Yes you have an old piece but it looks to me like a country made piece.

Bracket feet are in the style of 1760 but probably made by the Victorians

Knobs are Victorian you could have a look and see if they are original or replacements, the holes inside the drawers are a good guide.

The cross banding together with cock beading could be part of the country made design.

The fall flap is mounted upside down probably due to the interior floor, which is missing.

The two false drawers usually mean that at storage well covered by leather covered slide was part of the interior floor.

Unusual arrangements of the drawers high up could be an indicator of design for customer. These are usually set above the interior floor with the deviders above and cornices where the drawers are at present.

Maker unknown unless signed as they sometimes, are out of sight. As I say my feeling is locally made country piece.

Not a rare or terribly valuable article but well worth doing up for your own use in my opinion.

Hope this is of some help to you if you wish all think of anything else please feel free to contact me.

Regards
Norman

Norman
Thanks for your reply I do not own the piece, i have just fitted the draw runners etc however i will give a copy of your post to the owner who is very interested to understand more about it and may be do some restoration in the future. The loss of the storage well explains alot and the piece starts to make sense.
The handles fix with a wood thread the clearance on the holes is slightly greater than expected but thats all i can find.

They say a little knowledge is dangerous and that was the position i was in thanks once again OLD.

Hi OLD

glad to be of some help.

screw fitting to knobs confirm victorian. small holes pluged could have indeacted a earler date. I also have noticed that the side panels are a lot thiner than is usual in the better items. Just a thought the top draws inside could have been moved after the floor was removed have a look and see if they are an after thought ( the fixings should give you a clue )
have fun with the restoration and don`t forget to add the secerat draws into your design. there were allways some!!

regards
norman

will you keep me posted on progress?

Your very good at this ! the top draws are indeed fixed as a after thought you could even call it cobbled up a different method on left and right neither particularly robust .
The side panels are very thin i had to glue the one shown as the demise of the runners caused it to split at the join top to bottom basically this whole piece arrived in kit form.
I will pursue with the owner further restoration but expect it to be put on hold for the moment we will see.

Hi OLD

thanks, but I have had a little pratice on this side of the trade.

best of luck with the customer.
Regards
norman

Hi all

are there realy no restorers among you??????????? :shock:

come on its nothing to hide. :lol:

norman

Hi fixit

thanks for the reply.

see that you are based in linc`s I was in Markby nr Alford for 15 years before having to return south for family reasons. Miss the space and the old workshop.

Any one can become a restorer it`s only another side to the woodworking trade mainly depends on your own feelings about the work.Since you have to cover the whole range of skills it can be very good fun as long as the ego dosent get into the way. Your very best work is when nothing is to show that you have done anything and the item has never been touched,so only you and the customer are in the know as to what has been done.

Regards
Norman

Hi OLD

came across this pic. maybe some use to you,

hope it works

norman

album

Just a quick comment about above link.

I can see the beauty in that piece, waiting to be released,
along with many other finished pieces of fine furniture and
objets d'art made of many a woodworkers seductress(/seducer)
ie WOOD.
Question............?

Why can't SWMBO? :x ( Whose design influences/ preferences
are entrenched firmly in the ''Industrial'')

TX

Thanks TX

for the link

its an old photo of a job I had some time ago. To convert into double dome in walnut, bracket feet ,bureau cabinet. in queen ann style. This is where I get the most fun as I can to a large extent doo my own thing ( within the style ) sold in the usa. dealer job.

carn`t offer any help with SHMBO tast/style it may change given time!

Back