Are the Elu flip saws any good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LFS19

Established Member
Reaction score
I’d love to get a table saw (I do all my ripping by hand) but can’t afford a decent one.

I don’t think Elu made any table saws but they did make a couple of flip saws, where the table rotates and you can use it as a chip saw or a table saw.

They go for suspiciously cheap on eBay compared to any other table saws, but it’s Elu so presumably the build quality is sound.

Has anyone used one? What do you think of them?

Many thanks,

LG

They are great, but they were site work horses and I guess they have been out of production for 20 plus years. Which may be why they are so cheap.

They're exactly the same piece for piece as the Dewalt ones, they're pretty well built and very rugged from my own experience. Dewalt still makes the exact same saw the 743N 20 or so years later so they must've done something right with the design.

They're probably not the best piece of kit for dead accurate and fine work as they can be a little finicky but they're a good solid machine for site work.

Used one many years ago. I don't remember that much about it except that it was indeed a real work horse. It had these sliding carriages mounted on heavy steel bars that screwed together which effectively extended the table size massively and enabled you to manage full sheets of (in our case at the time) ply. If buying one, I'd recommend that you get one with the sliding carriage setup, otherwise you may well find the table a bit small.

Flip saws aren't a great idea, being a bit heavy and clumsy for a good chop saw, and a bit small and lightweight to be a good tablesaw. However, if it says Elu on it you'll get a robust well made tool.

I have an old Electra Beckum flip saw.
I bought it about 12 years ago for £120 , and I still use it, although I can't remember the last time I flipped it.
With hindsight, I would have probably been better off with a non-flipping table saw.

If you are set on a flip saw then yes the Elu was pioneering & lightweight enough for transport if that's what you want, but the Elektra Beckum KGT500 was a far more substantial saw - cast ali table vs pressed steel & a pretty nifty mitre saw mechanism - look for green models made late 90's which should be German build.
Cheers & I worked for both companies so do know both fairly well.

large red":1j84n7rc said:
They are great, but they were site work horses and I guess they have been out of production for 20 plus years. Which may be why they are so cheap.

Good point, many thanks.

Trevanion":2txf92gp said:
They're exactly the same piece for piece as the Dewalt ones, they're pretty well built and very rugged from my own experience. Dewalt still makes the exact same saw the 743N 20 or so years later so they must've done something right with the design.

They're probably not the best piece of kit for dead accurate and fine work as they can be a little finicky but they're a good solid machine for site work.

Interesting, thanks a lot for the reply.

tony_s":2ajlpaet said:
Used one many years ago. I don't remember that much about it except that it was indeed a real work horse. It had these sliding carriages mounted on heavy steel bars that screwed together which effectively extended the table size massively and enabled you to manage full sheets of (in our case at the time) ply. If buying one, I'd recommend that you get one with the sliding carriage setup, otherwise you may well find the table a bit small.

Ill be sue to look out for the sliding carriage models, thanks!

MikeG.":35rd2e9l said:
Flip saws aren't a great idea, being a bit heavy and clumsy for a good chop saw, and a bit small and lightweight to be a good tablesaw. However, if it says Elu on it you'll get a robust well made tool.

That makes sense. I’m not actually after a flip saw per se; it’s a table saw I’m after. Its just i haven’t seen a table saw in this price range from a reputable brand, and obviously I know Elu make great gear so I thought it might be a good bet.
Cheers :)

John Brown":2cg3z0ry said:
I have an old Electra Beckum flip saw.
I bought it about 12 years ago for £120 , and I still use it, although I can't remember the last time I flipped it.
With hindsight, I would have probably been better off with a non-flipping table saw.

I like Electra Beckum gear so ill have a look, cheers.

Back