Quantcast

Are the Elu flip saws any good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

LFS19

Established Member
Joined
21 Oct 2015
Messages
478
Reaction score
0
Location
East Yorkshire
I’d love to get a table saw (I do all my ripping by hand) but can’t afford a decent one.

I don’t think Elu made any table saws but they did make a couple of flip saws, where the table rotates and you can use it as a chip saw or a table saw.

They go for suspiciously cheap on eBay compared to any other table saws, but it’s Elu so presumably the build quality is sound.

Has anyone used one? What do you think of them?

Many thanks,

LG
 

large red

Established Member
Joined
4 Jul 2011
Messages
105
Reaction score
1
They are great, but they were site work horses and I guess they have been out of production for 20 plus years. Which may be why they are so cheap.
 

Trevanion

Greatest Of All Time
Joined
29 Jul 2018
Messages
3,605
Reaction score
423
Location
Pembrokeshire
They're exactly the same piece for piece as the Dewalt ones, they're pretty well built and very rugged from my own experience. Dewalt still makes the exact same saw the 743N 20 or so years later so they must've done something right with the design.

They're probably not the best piece of kit for dead accurate and fine work as they can be a little finicky but they're a good solid machine for site work.
 

tony_s

Established Member
Joined
14 Jul 2017
Messages
123
Reaction score
0
Location
London
Used one many years ago. I don't remember that much about it except that it was indeed a real work horse. It had these sliding carriages mounted on heavy steel bars that screwed together which effectively extended the table size massively and enabled you to manage full sheets of (in our case at the time) ply. If buying one, I'd recommend that you get one with the sliding carriage setup, otherwise you may well find the table a bit small.
 

MikeG.

Established Member
Joined
24 Aug 2008
Messages
10,176
Reaction score
656
Location
Essex/ Suffolk border
Flip saws aren't a great idea, being a bit heavy and clumsy for a good chop saw, and a bit small and lightweight to be a good tablesaw. However, if it says Elu on it you'll get a robust well made tool.
 

John Brown

Established Member
Joined
25 Sep 2008
Messages
1,597
Reaction score
17
Location
Stinchcombe, Gloucestershire
I have an old Electra Beckum flip saw.
I bought it about 12 years ago for £120 , and I still use it, although I can't remember the last time I flipped it.
With hindsight, I would have probably been better off with a non-flipping table saw.
 

Nick Laguna UK

Established Member
Joined
24 Mar 2004
Messages
237
Reaction score
11
Location
Midlands UK
If you are set on a flip saw then yes the Elu was pioneering & lightweight enough for transport if that's what you want, but the Elektra Beckum KGT500 was a far more substantial saw - cast ali table vs pressed steel & a pretty nifty mitre saw mechanism - look for green models made late 90's which should be German build.
Cheers & I worked for both companies so do know both fairly well.
 

LFS19

Established Member
Joined
21 Oct 2015
Messages
478
Reaction score
0
Location
East Yorkshire
large red":1j84n7rc said:
They are great, but they were site work horses and I guess they have been out of production for 20 plus years. Which may be why they are so cheap.
Good point, many thanks.
 

LFS19

Established Member
Joined
21 Oct 2015
Messages
478
Reaction score
0
Location
East Yorkshire
Trevanion":2txf92gp said:
They're exactly the same piece for piece as the Dewalt ones, they're pretty well built and very rugged from my own experience. Dewalt still makes the exact same saw the 743N 20 or so years later so they must've done something right with the design.

They're probably not the best piece of kit for dead accurate and fine work as they can be a little finicky but they're a good solid machine for site work.
Interesting, thanks a lot for the reply.
 

LFS19

Established Member
Joined
21 Oct 2015
Messages
478
Reaction score
0
Location
East Yorkshire
tony_s":2ajlpaet said:
Used one many years ago. I don't remember that much about it except that it was indeed a real work horse. It had these sliding carriages mounted on heavy steel bars that screwed together which effectively extended the table size massively and enabled you to manage full sheets of (in our case at the time) ply. If buying one, I'd recommend that you get one with the sliding carriage setup, otherwise you may well find the table a bit small.
Ill be sue to look out for the sliding carriage models, thanks!
 

LFS19

Established Member
Joined
21 Oct 2015
Messages
478
Reaction score
0
Location
East Yorkshire
MikeG.":35rd2e9l said:
Flip saws aren't a great idea, being a bit heavy and clumsy for a good chop saw, and a bit small and lightweight to be a good tablesaw. However, if it says Elu on it you'll get a robust well made tool.
That makes sense. I’m not actually after a flip saw per se; it’s a table saw I’m after. Its just i haven’t seen a table saw in this price range from a reputable brand, and obviously I know Elu make great gear so I thought it might be a good bet.
Cheers :)
 

LFS19

Established Member
Joined
21 Oct 2015
Messages
478
Reaction score
0
Location
East Yorkshire
John Brown":2cg3z0ry said:
I have an old Electra Beckum flip saw.
I bought it about 12 years ago for £120 , and I still use it, although I can't remember the last time I flipped it.
With hindsight, I would have probably been better off with a non-flipping table saw.
I like Electra Beckum gear so ill have a look, cheers.
 
Top