Are SIP and Charnwood selling the same rebadged machines

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lloyd Melsome-Smith

Reaction score
I've been looking for a disc/belt sander and a thicknesser/planer. Came across the SIP and Charnwood items:

planer thicknessers
Charnwood PT250
SIP 01558

disc belt sanders
Charnwood BD610
SIP 01927

these look remarkably similar, are they in fact the same rebadged machines.

Most likely. Almost all hobby-rated machines are far-easten imports that get rebranded. Record, Axminster, and Holzman machines are also like this. Even Hammer are using a re-badged version of Record Power's Sabre 350.

I was told recently that despite appearances they may not be identical with different quality bearings, motors etc. Obvious branding and minor external fittings (eg: handles) are easily changed. I suspect, although can't prove it, that is BS.

More to the point - understand price, delivery costs, warranty, ability to supply spares, availability of consumables (eg: hook and loop or stick on abrasives). Then make a choice.

When looking at these machines, they can change the color, stick on different badges and maybe alter a few details but some of the things to compare are weight and motor power. The weight can say a lot and often explain why one machine may be cheaper than the other but both look identical.

Back