Are old school gadgets more fun than new ones?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PMK54

Established Member
Reaction score
As somebody that's always liked gadgets I'm concerned that I can't watch TV programmes like The Gadget Show because they show devices that just don't attract me. Whereas since catching the woodworking bug about a year ago (thanks to our Norm Abram on 'Shed') I now see woodworking gadgets that I can relate to - too many actually!

Is this an age thing? Am I so 'practical' that a radio controlled mini helium balloon that floats around the house will never float my boat, but a 25mm forstner bit will? Just an aside - I didn't know about forstner bits until I watched Norm using one on TV last year!

Shouldn't The Gadget Show etc show a full range of gadgets including hollow chisel morticers and Japanese saws? Or would the 'dynamic presenter' (or boring one for that matter) treatment just put people off?

When I first saw there was to be a "gadget show" I was interested - but I was most disappointed with the noisy, flashy, childish and irritating production. Not watched it since. :( Has it got any better?

If I happen upon the show when I'm channel hopping (usually in the kitchen while waiting for the potatoes to cook) I pretty much hop straight away because I find none of the gadgets appealing. Last few times I watched (a couple of years ago) they tried to make the gadgets interesting by blowing them up and chasing each other through the undergrowth while browsing a website, or something like that, but it just highlighted how dull mainstream gadgetry had become.

I think the problem you are describing is with the show rather than gadgets in general. It sounds like the show is more interested in playing with the latest toy rather than discussing some of the really interesting advances we've made. I'd consider my smart phone to be a gadget, when I initially got it I didn't think I'd find it that useful but now I feel lost without it. When was the last time the show talked about smart phones beyond "you can play angry birds on it" though?

Back