Are ANY of the cheap BandSaws adequate?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because I'm tight for space I have a small Record machine, a BS250 (£250). It's OK for small work but I would definitely have one of the larger models if I had room.

John

I really like my BS300E but it's not without issues. I expect many machines have some niggles that need fettling to get something that works nicely. Cast Iron table and cast iron wheels won me over on the Record.

My first bandsaw was the Axi HBS250N. It more than paid for itself in my ownership and is now happily working away cutting acrylics for the guy I sold it to after I upgraded to the Axi AP4300T industrial model.

If I hadn't needed to cut bigger wood there is no doubt I would still be using the little HBS250N.

As already stated, with Axminster you get the three year warranty and their customer service is exemplary.

I have no connection with Axminster other than as a very satisfied customer. The only downside I find is that I spend far too much money every time I visit their Nuneaton store!! :lol: :lol:

ive had a SIP 12" bandsaw for about 7 years, bought new for about £200, been an awesome little machine, very accurate. just replaced all the bearings on it for about £30 as a few of them were ont he way out. Tbh iits not had much Love, been sat int he same outbuilding as the dust extractor, which isnt particularly dry either but it runs as sweet as a nut now.

Not sure how much they cost now?

I have just noticed something odd about the Axminster saw..

Have a look at the manual:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/media/downlo ... manual.pdf

The bearings in the guide seem to work illogically.. The ones each side of the blade, are rotated 90 degress.. So instead of rotating as a bearing is designed, the face of the bearing points towards the blade.

Same for the push bearing at the back of the blade...

Every other guide I have seen, works as you would expect, with the outside edge of the bearings facing towards the blade.. Anyone understand the logic here?

Jon

Edit: Now I have looked again, there arn't even bearings either side of the blade.. There are just pins....

jweaver":34loxf96 said:

Have a look at the manual:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/media/downlo ... manual.pdf

The bearings in the guide seem to work illogically.. The ones each side of the blade, are rotated 90 degress.. So instead of rotating as a bearing is designed, the face of the bearing points towards the blade.

Every other guide I have seen, works as you would expect, with the outside edge of the bearings facing towards the blade.. Anyone understand the logic here?

Jon

Edit: Now I have looked again, there arn't even bearings either side of the blade.. There are just pins....
The rear thrust bearing on my old Axminster 350 bandsaw is the same, although it does have side bearings which are fitted in the normal way.

Its worth calling your closest Axy to see if they'll let you actually demo the saw. Mine allowed me to do that before I plumped for the RP BS400 back in the Spring. One of their larger trade models was on my shortlist as was the Jet 18" throat model. They let me trial them both which I was really grateful for. I even took my own wood and did a like for like test cutting a 12" bowl blank from oak. I confess they must have been a bit miffed that I ended up buying the record machine but it was without question the superior buy for the budget.

But Axy are very accommodating indeed and pretty mature about the notion of competition. Their notion of customer service is very grown up and they figure if I didn't buy one of their bandsaw's that time, because they were decent human beings I'll always go there to review other tools in the future....and of course, they're right, I do.

jweaver":bm4tw5sw said:

Lots of bandsaws have the bearings like this, including the Record Power range.

I agree that it doesn't seem logical. I believe there are two reasons for this.

1. Manufacturers seem to think it's cheaper or easier to mount the bearings like this.

2. Some folks think placing the bearings this way round provides greater support for the blade.

If you look at after market guides like the Carter ones these are the right way round in my opinion.

Now it's crept up to that price you might like to investigate the Scheppach Basa 1. I think it's an all-round nicer machine and with a bit of hunting about you should be able to get for much the same price as the Axminster is now.

Russ59":2h9b4nda said:
BUT its gone up £10 overnight :shock: :x New years eve £149.99, New years day £159.96
If you were on Axi's mailing list you'd have got the 2015 catalogue last week which showed all the new prices. They just change their prices once a year though.

I got an Axminster HBS205N for Christmas. Haven't set it up yet but I'd be happy to try to answer any questions you might have on it? I'm by no means an expert mind...

hi all
any tool is a good tool as long as it is set up correct go to youtube and learn band saw set ups I brought a second hand band saw never set up correct and now running like a new machine cutting 150mm blanks for wood turning perfect just a tip when setting the blade tighten and spin blade with wheel until the cutting teeth are in the centre of wheel not the blade itself just the teeth and all cuts will run true if need more tips let me know.cheers

In the end, I went for the HBS250N, and was entirely unimpressed with it especially considering the £250 price tag.. After a week of playing, I drew the conclusion that it was faulty, but I was so underwhelmed with the overall build, that I took a refund instead of replacement..

I figured that one of the 8" ones might just hit the spot for what I want to use it for.. And figured I might buy one which is around £100.. I expected it to be junk, but for £100 it wasn't going to be the end of the world.

But to cut a long story short, I "won" a Black and Decker BD339 on ebay.. Probably paid a bit too much for it, but I like the idea that I can fix it up.. Clean it.. I havn't seen it in the flesh, and its going to be couriered to me, so its a bit of gamble.. But its not a huge amount of money and it will be nice to have a little project to restore it.

So hopefully, with a clean, oil and a new blade, it will serve me well.

Jon

Back