Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Arch joint

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

mrtree

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm making an arched gate. My first thought was to join the arch to the stile as the first pic, just as you would on a standard door.

IMG_20211103_160032643.jpg

I'm now toying with the alternative that would be used if the arch was steeper, more semi-circular.
It's external and will probably be lead capped.

IMG_20211103_160045765.jpg
IMG_20211103_160045765.jpg

Which would you use, and why?
Thanks for your help.

No idea why the images have ended up as they are, I tried to post thumbnails...Oh well...

johnnyb

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of arches on gates or any other frippery tbh. it seems to weaken the whole shebang. if I can make it from one chunk then ok maybe but it still is compromised and will fail much faster.
that being said the last arch I made was like the first photo. quite shallow. with end grain up. it was profiled to shed water and painted. a simple bent cap would protect the end grain.

Jacob

Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please
Reaction score
The second photo you show is the way I do arches. The end grain then isn’t facing upwards to the weather. Mortice in the arch, tenon in the style.
View attachment 121170View attachment 121171
I would have carried the tenon right through to the top, draw-bored it slightly and capped the arch with a bent lath or piece of lead.
The long M&T gives it more strength instead of the arch just sitting on a short tenon

Jacob

Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please
Reaction score
Hammer head tenon for me every time, not just a couple of big Dominos, honest ;)

View attachment 121239
Draw boring; the poor mans equivalent of a hammer head tenon!
I've got a round window joined with 4 double ended hammer head tenons and arch windows done with the draw-bored through tenon.

Adam W.

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Circular work in Carpentry and Joinery by George Collings is my go to book for this kind of stuff.

Latest posts