Arc welder Rods/Sticks storage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you to everyone.
I can breath more easily knowing I do not need to buy new rods for every occasional and sometimes unexpected soldering (or trying to solder) job.
I will store some 6013 rods in a large empty & dry plastic bottle with cap close to the Rayburn.
Again, thank you for your assistance, which is always given and eminently practical.

Thanks for the tip…I’ve spent a fair chunk of time trying to find a nice plastic tubular box that was at the budget that seemed reasonable to me and failed completely when all along the solution was within reach.
Just get a length of 40mm waste pipe and put sovent weld plain cap on one end and screw acces cap on tother, simples. But I also keep them in the airing cupboard.

Am I the only ne who just deliberately shorts them out for a preheat before use? Never harmed my old welder.

It's gasless. Guess it could be wire feed too fast, having difficulty slowing it down. Wires are correct and it's new wire. I've got the welding forum as one of my (many) favourites, I'll have another good read on there. Thanks for the answers, much appreciated. I need to practice as I'm planning on building a wheeled frame for my planer/thicknesser.

Am I the only ne who just deliberately shorts them out for a preheat before use? Never harmed my old welder.
What is & how is it done and is it wise to do so "deliberately shorts them out"

Just tack the end of the rod to the work so it's in full contact and not arcing As if you were stiking the arc but don't pull away. This heats the rod and drives out moisture, flick of the wrist to break the minor spot weld.

Like most on here. I don't do a lot of welding. I just got a pack of 6013 electrodes from Screwfix. They come in a plastic box. Kept in my dry garage, They always work when I need them to. No special precautions taken other than to put the lid back on. And join Mig-welding.co.uk. great people on there

Just yesterday I had my first 'play' with my new MIG/ARC welder. Got on quite well with the sticks but loads of 'spatter'(?) with the mig welds. Tried different amps but nothing really helped. Is it because of cheap/old wire from Amazon, or what am I doing wrong? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
Jeff
Is it gasless? Found the cheap gasless MIGs to be pretty poor. Even with the proper coated wire I found that the feed mechanism gets clogged after a while leading to problems.

Back