Arbortec tuff blade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graduate_owner

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Quick question. I have a Tuff blade from Arbortech which I bought a few years ago but never used. I was wondering if it could be used for woodcarving. Has anyone tried this? I know they make a blade especially for carving but since I already have this I was thinking of giving it a try. However I don't want to lose any fingers !!!

K

If you have it then give it a go and report back. Tooth shape looks a little more square than blade sold for carving but what’s to loose!?

SVB":39n3atpb said:
If you have it then give it a go and report back. Tooth shape looks a little more square than blade sold for carving but what’s to loose!?

What's to lose? Umm, fingers?

[Jeremy Clarkson voice] " How hard can it be? What could possibly go wrong?". Followed by, "The Worst Accident....In The World".

That being said, I'm keen to have a go myself, and I don't even have a big grinder. How hard could it be?

As I understand it, wearing gloves is more dangerous than not, as the material drags your entire hand into the blade, should it all go wrong. Keep arms and legs inside the vehicle at all times, etc.

Looking at the blade it seems to have a neutral rake tooth angle, which would help prevent snags and catches. I don't see any harm in giving it a go gently with baby steps, the cut possibly won't be as smooth as one of their planer cutters or other shaping discs but if it gets the job done happy days.

I assume you’re referring to the 4” version rather than the 2”?

I have the mini-grinder version with the 2” blade and while it is possible to carve with it, it is nowhere near as controllable as the Arbortech discs designed for scooping out material. Also it fires small, sharp pieces of wood at you so sleeves and safety glasses are a must.

Back