Aquarium tank cabinet stand

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul...

these sketches of yours are pretty impressive.. however.. :twisted:

umm.... latest rev looks just about spot on; my only concern is dependant on material choice. If you're still using MDF, I personally would double up on the central post by adding another at the back.
N.B. this is purely cos I've neither experience nor faith in the stuff; if you're working with ply you'll be fine...
The central post in front looks peachy, but your comment re clearences had me concerned; they need to be minimal to prevent your front span from sagging; no more than 0.25mm... +/- a hair...

As for securing the post.. how bout some catches?? Maybe somethin like this...???

Isaac Lord part # 386175PB

I reckon one of these, top and bottom of the post should give bullet proof security.

I could use MDF or Ply - is ply really stronger in compression than MDF?

The guy that builds these tanks still maintains that he builds all his cabinets in this way without the internal structure!!!

If cabinets are usually built from sheet material then they must be strong enough to do the job i expect you would go one size up to make a good longlasting job.But the material spanning the top of the opening will have to be stiff so use thicker or laminate or add steel or a combination depending on available space and support under it not as in the drawing where its jointed to it ,you can also gain strength from the face frame and the way its fixed . you can then make the centre member of the face frame non load bearing and removable . Its just like spans in building.

Back