Aprons

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had tried the "New Style" Axminster apron? http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=MRSVAM. Or indeed any aprons at all that don't rely on hanging round your neck? I'm getting a bit fed up with being slowly decapitated by my bog-standard carpenter's apron :evil: , but I need something to protect my clothes from the worst of the workshop mess. And apparently it would be an acceptable Xmas pressie option. :roll: (So much for what I had thought of asking for then... :wink: )

Cheers, Alf

I haven't tried the Axminster but I do have a home-made apron of that type and it works better than the traditional sort (less neck strain)

Scrit

Thanks, Scrit; never thought of making my own. Might well look into that.

It's also just dawned on me that I posted this in the wrong place :oops: , should have been in buying advice I suppose. D'oh.

Cheers, Alf

sawdustalley":3m53gnbm said:
Moved :)

I don't wear an apron... However, I think the £50 bucket boss one looks good...

At that price it better had - almost five times the price of the Axminster, phew! I think I'll put mine into production, gotta be worth at least £25 (well, it's British after all)..... ;-)

Scrit

I suppose a new apron beat pants & socks for xmas :lol:

I don't wear aprons but what about lab or warehouseman (person) coats?

Col

Ta, James. I obliged. :) However, 50 smackeroonies for an apron?! Yikes. I presume it'll do all the work for you too, at that price? :lol: I'll take a look though, just incase the "wow" factor overcomes the "how much??!!" one. Now one of Scrit's, possibly with a discreet Union flag somewhere... Yes indeedy, that'd put the fear of god into all those Chiwanese machines! :twisted: The coat idea I had dallied with, but I find them a bit restrictive around the shoulders, but thanks Col. Methinks I might just have to go for the Axminster one, even if I do have to be the guinea pig. :?

Cheers, Alf

Perhaps a Kevlar jacket such as those sported by news reporters in exotic places such as Iran and Afghanistan might be just the ticket? Especially for woodworkers who prefer to operate tablesaws without guards :) :) :) . It'd be nice if DuPont made Kevlar gauntlets just for such practices, too.

Yours

Gill (who's just dived into the bunker again, only to be dismayed that her helmet is made of metal, not Kevlar :? )

gilld
Dupont do make kevlar gloves but i suppose at £37 for one glove it would go very well with the £50 apron :roll:

cheers BTJ

Aaaarrrggghhh!!! Too many pockets! Pocket overload! Can't you see what would happen? I'd fill'em all (it not just being nature that abhors a vacuum round here :oops: ) and be toppled over by the weight. :( Pinned to the workshop floor by my own tools, starving slowly on a diet of wood shavings and dropped panel pins... Nope, it's just no good. :lol: Still, a good effort, waving a pic under my nose like that! :p

Cheers, Alf

P.S. Gill; ROTFL! :lol:

Tools still For Sale!

The only thing missing from that apron picture is the scaffold with wheels to keep you upright once you filled all the pockets :lol: .

alf i got a nice apron of the boss with a pocket in the front to catch all the chips off the rat :roll: moral of this tale is dont have a pocket on the said apron.

frank

Nothing to eat but dropped panel pins? You could always bend them - that way, you'd have a staple diet :roll: . Must admit though, the prospect of surviving on rat droppings doesn't appeal much.

Thanks the info about the gauntlets, Bob. Somehow, I can't see them ranking very highly on the list I send to Santa this year. That said, if my roast turkey lives up to it's usual standards, they might prove to be a very useful Christmas present.

Yours

Gill

Frank,

Well moralised. I have a smock (don't laugh) that I use at the lathe and the darn thing has pockets at the front. There tend to be mutterings about the chips in the washing machine everytime I decide it needs a clean :( Any tips for getting them out of the corners? Even the washing doesn't manage that, and don't even think about the dust extractor... :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Cut the pockets off smock no more wood chips in pockets, never had a problem with chips in pockets but many years ago woke up on a saturday morning with a cold kebab in my jacket pocket :lol:

Alf.....

<strugglin to keep a straight face...

Ignore them...... they're just jealous... I'll bet you look REAL cute in your smock....

you ummmmmm...... COULD always sew the pockets closed...

or ummmmmm..... dare I suggest...... wear it back to front....

<thinkin I'll stick with old jeans and a t-shirt...

Enjoyyyyyyyyyyyy.......

:wink:

Hmm, I just knew I was going to regret mentioning the smock... :oops: I'll have you know that, apart from the pocket problem, it's actually very practical indeed. So there :p I did try it back to front, but felt even more of a . than before. :? :lol:

Cheers, Alf

I wear, amongst other things, a 'Lovell Original' smock (advertised in GWW). They have a front zip, velcro fastenings at wrists & neck, and large rear pockets, easily accessible and very useful for small items. I use mine for woodturning and the main benefit is that I can use the pockets without them filling with shavings. The downside is that they are jacket length so won't stop you getting glue, etc., on your strides when you wipe your fingers!

Trev.

Back