Apricot box + a vase now

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodyturner

Established Member
Reaction score
I have wanted to do this box for a few weeks now so today I said no to the decorating it is time for fun so of to the wokshop, the box and lid are made from Apricot and the finial from Jumping bean or more commonly known as Tamooti the box 4" wide and 4 1/2" tall and it is 1/16" thick and undercut to the same my wife has laid claim to it and wants another one to match so it looks like another day off from decorating tomorrow what a shame LOL
I made a crazy pen as well just for kicks it is 22" long all comments welcome enjoy

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 1,068
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,069
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 1,069
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 1,063
I like it !

if im being picky i'd say I'd have concaved slightly the area under the handle so it sits flush ( or perhaps this has moved after finishing )

I love it. I'd be proud to have that on display in my home.

I also love the pen. Perfect for scratching the top of your head while thinking what to write.

Hi Woody Well done Jumping bean is Tambotie. ( Spirostachys africana ) The seeds are often infested by the larvae of a moth, which cause the fruit segments to ' jump , into the air, particularly when heated Kind Regards Roger C

Interesting design idea, the wood looks waterstained a bit (the greyish areas) is that typical of the tree or is it just this piece? Nice work though!

KimG":2vbvo4h2 said:
Interesting design idea, the wood looks waterstained a bit (the greyish areas) is that typical of the tree or is it just this piece? Nice work though!
Hi Kim Apricot is normally a pale wood but every so often it throws up a real interesting lump and very often you get the whole trunk full of burrs I will be tuning the other half of the log in the next few days it is a beautiful wood to turn with shavings flying over you shoulder

Sounds wonderful Woody!
Slightly off topic, the new Jet 1642 has arrived and is set up, runs so sweetly, it's everything I imagined and more, I hope to be posting up a pic or two of some products before to long myself, got a whole load of timber recently including a big pile of huge Ash logs, a small spalted Sycamore trunk, some Elder, Blackthorn, Laburnum and what looks decidedly like Plum. All wet ATM so it will be a little while before they are ready, but I have some dry timber lying in the attic, some of which isn't drilled full of woodworm holes!

KimG":3qlizisc said:
Sounds wonderful Woody!
Slightly off topic, the new Jet 1642 has arrived and is set up, runs so sweetly, it's everything I imagined and more, I hope to be posting up a pic or two of some products before to long myself, got a whole load of timber recently including a big pile of huge Ash logs, a small spalted Sycamore trunk, some Elder, Blackthorn, Laburnum and what looks decidedly like Plum. All wet ATM so it will be a little while before they are ready, but I have some dry timber lying in the attic, some of which isn't drilled full of woodworm holes!
Hi Kim not sure if you are aware but take care when turning the Laburnum as it is poison so plenty of dust control and fruit wood like plum are very prone to splitting and are best turned wet
Good to hear that you have got your lathe and I wish you many years of happy turning look forward to seeing some of your work.

Thanks for that Woody, though I am aware of the nature of Laburnaum, as well as several others (Yew, Iroko) I am in the process of fitting up a dust extraction system, but for now wear good quality dustmasks. I will rough out the fruitwood pretty soon, mostly Natural edged bowls I think.

Then I most definitely look forward to seeing some of your work natural edge items are my favourite things to turn because you never know what your going to end up with

Absolutely beautiful. I have tried turning bits with natural edges, but after a bit, the bark always seems to fall off. Luckily I buy industral size bottles of superglue for pen turning.
Can't let the other half see this though, expectation often exceeds my ability.

Another Apricot log with a load of splits 9" x 6 1/2" not perfect I know but I enjoyed myself making it and that is what it is all about for me and it was better than throwing it away

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 804
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 805
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 805
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 805
woodyturner":1mn2mu29 said:
Another Apricot log with a load of splits 9" x 6 1/2" not perfect I know but I enjoyed myself making it and that is what it is all about for me and it was better than throwing it away

Indeed, I have been getting through the odd pot of superglue this week. Splits filled with glue and dust do no harm to a natural edge vessel I reckon, all part of the 'rustic' feel.

Latest posts

Back