Approx cost of beech for a bench top?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrisminordriver

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
can anyone tell me (very roughly) how much I'd need to spend to buy some beech for a work bench top approx 2" thick, 30" wide and 72" long.
I'd prefer it already planed and thicknessed.
Ta
Mike

I believe prices up here range between £18-25 / board foot, but that's roughcut.

ummmmm....make that a cubic foot...

<prone to the odd blonde moment......

you could do what I did, and buy some maple or beech kitchen workshop - its aready nice and flat, glued up etc..

not sure if it would work out cheaper

Hi Mike

My solution was even cheaper and much more stable - a sheet of OSB faced with hardboard screwed onto the surface. But that wasn't the question you asked :wink: .

Yours

Gill

Unless you are dead set on a beech top, a pretty good alternative is to buy a solid core fire door from one of the places like Travis Perkins. They come in two types, a very dense chipboard variety and a block laminated wood variety, the latter being just like what you might make up yourself, except it is skinned with plywood.

I used one of these which I faced with decamil for a platten for vacuum veneering and found it very flat and stable so when a friend wanted to build a bench, he was persuaded to use a similar door as a top. I helped him build the bench and it worked very well. He used another thin sheet of ply as a sacrificial top, secured with few countersunk screws.

I recall I paid something like £70 for the door and at that price it beats making a heavy top up myself.

Chris

Back