Apprenticeships

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeyefxr

Established Member
Reaction score
I wrote something on the 'parting off' post.
It got me thinking about Apprenticeships and who has done one.
I started mine in 1966, my stating rate was 1s 6p per hour (about 18p in todays money) At the end i got my indentured papers on like parchment paper in fancy scroll writing, and still have them lol.
Anyone else??

I did my joinery apprenticeship not so long ago, I was getting paid £3.50 per hour taking home £148 per week. I didn't get any fancy papers, just a C&G qualification certificate!

I started my Electrical & Mechanical Engineering apprenticeship in 1978 straight from school at the age of 16. My father had to sign the Indentured Agreement with the Engineering company if I remember correctly...??
My family were in the process of moving from one end of the country to the other at the time, so I knew none of the other lads that started at the same time as me. There were 12 of us that year.

4 days at work & 1 day a week + 1 evening at college (approximately 46 hours/week) College was a long day as it was an hour each way by Train.....
For the first year, my take home pay was £16.13p/ week.
After 4 years, I also got indentured papers as you describe.

It was in a Factory environment and I hated it (clocking in & clocking out twice a day)
I left when I was 20 and have never been tempted to go back to that environment again.

After using the Yellow Pages and days of touring businesses in the local area (thank you Grandad) we took a wrong turn to a village and visited the only place suitable.
I was offered my first job there in a builders workshop on a learn on the job basis. They made and fitted everything, bar the Sapele interior doors (remember them?) I took it as I really wanted to start working. Some time later they asked if I wanted to get my papers but declined and carried on. Subsequently only one place turned me down for not having them.
Cheers Andy

I did my training that way...first weeks pay 17s6d.....I got more than that for making chips after school.....
I have no idea where my papers are and never been asked for them......
Last job before retirement, I was responsible for a £45,000,000 eng project......
didn't leave untill it was signed off.....
not to shabby for a bum grease monkey in overall's.....
Oh, retirement....WHATS THAT>>>>>>?????? hahaha.....

I had a change of direction at work, and one day a chap I had worked with before came and asked for some help - he had a problem he couldn't solve. I went with him, found the cause and returned to what I was doing before. The guy I was working with asked if I had any qualifications to do the job I did before. Not unless you count being very good at it as a qualification, I laughed. Why do you ask? I didn't think you did, he said, I just find it amusing that you have no qualifications and he's asking you to sort out his problems - he's an NVQ assessor.

A young girl I worked with was a very good pattissiere. She went for an interview at one of the very best London restaurants, and we asked how she got on. Oh, she said, the actual interview was quite short but when it ended they pulled two bags of groceries out from under the table, pointed to the kitchen saying the ovens were already hot. I asked what they wanted cooked and they shrugged and said you show us. She got the job.
I felt that was a good a way as any of employing someone, but now it's all whether you've the paperwork or not.

I don't think that the last statement is actually correct. Having the correct qualifications is used as a screening process but there needs to be something when there are dozens of people applying for each position, including several that have no relevant experience or qualifications at all.

Interviews focus on what you have done and ask pertinent questions to get through the bullsh1t. They are a grilling, they want facts, numbers, results, examples. They won't be fobbed off with results that the company achieved, they want to know specifically what you did with regards to those results.

When I was at school I remember various career lessons about transferrable skills. Even if you go back to study and get the "paperwork" expected for a job, nowadays it is close to impossible to change careers. Entry level positions they will say you are overqualified, mid level you are competing with somebody who is doing the exact same job elsewhere and has years of experience.

Getting the qualification is the easiest step in a foot in the door, but that alone isn't enough. If you have experience only, the hardest part is having the opportunity to demonstrate it. Obviously some jobs it is easier to show than others. A chef or a joiner can offer to demonstrate their skills and a boss may well be happy to allow this. A wannabe surgeon is less welcomed in the operating theatre without the necessary NVQ.

Got the 18p bit wrong, it was 8p (new money) that was for a 5 1/2 day week (48hrs) One day week college from 9am to 8pm
I was on £20.00 per week at the end of the week, rich !!!!!!

I started my apprenticeship straight from school in 1993 an I was identured and still have the paperwork. I remember having to go in with my dad and he had to sign it too. I think I was one of the last though as in my years interviewing trades and assessing apprentices etc I have not come across any recent ones.

It took me four years to get my city & guilds & whilst I thoroughly enjoyed my time at college I’ve never had an interview to use them at, I think the paperwork must be in the loft.

I remember reading emergency editions of the local weekly paper published in the late '50's that were produced by the managers and indentured apprentices as the indentured apprentices were not legally allowed to go on strike.

.....as the indentured apprentices were not legally allowed to go on strike.

Yes, ...There were a couple of strikes whilst I was an apprentice but we were not allowed to.

I remember objecting to the fact that I HAD TO PAY Union Contributions out of every pay packet whether I wanted to or not.
If you chose not to pay it to the Union, it was still deducted but paid to a charity instead....

I’m looking for joinery work now but am considering finding a C+G apprenticeship as its proving tough to find a spot in a small workshop locally.
House bashing for a housing developer never appealed to me but with so many positions readily available and a regular pay check, it is becoming a recurring consideration, but they screen out anyone with an apprenticeship I believe. For context, I’m 33, have two kids and live in Glasgow. I could afford to live on apprentice wages for the time being. I definitely want to upskill but not sure what the best route is...
Anyone else in the same position?

I'd like to do my own thing, but couldn't afford to leave my miserable office job and pay the bills, so for the foreseeable future it will remain a hobby. my hope is that as the big bills fall, if can make a it of pocket money that would good, but ill see what comes of it. i'm thinking of just offering free labour on a friday to a local workshop (i work sun-thurs) to gain a bit more experience.

Hi there

I started my Electrical & Mechanical Engineering apprenticeship in 1978 straight from school at the age of 16.

Hi there

I assume you moved from North to Colchester, if so was the company Woods who made the fans and extraction systems? I can remember meeting guys from that company at the local colledge when I was doing a welding course there.

Hi there

Hi there

I assume you moved from North to Colchester, if so was the company Woods who made the fans and extraction systems? I can remember meeting guys from that company at the local colledge when I was doing a welding course there.

I did indeed move from the North East down to Essex but the company I started working for was not Woods...( Woods still exists though!).

I worked for a local Engineering company that made paper counting machines and also labelling/packaging machines.
The company was part of and still remains part of the Portals Group.

I had a couple of mates that started their apprenticeships with Colchester Lathes and Paxman Diesels at the same time as me. Both these companies were based in Colchester and their apprentices attended the College in Colchester.
My College was in Ipswich.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back