Applying green baize

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robgul

Barry Bucknell is my hero
Reaction score
I have two display cases (app 70 x 40cm) that need to have green baize fitted to the MDF base - what sort of adhesive?

Options in my mind are : Spraymount, PVA woodglue, Unibond undiluted, Copydex - any ideas/views/experiences please?

.. I know you can get self-adhesive but the reviews aren't good, and I already have some good quality baize.

I haven't used baise but have used similar materials and I always use copydex. If I don't have any, I will go any buy some rather than make do with anything else. It is harder to get now than it used to be, I had to go out if my way the last time I needed some.

I haven't used baise but have used similar materials and I always use copydex. If I don't have any, I will go any buy some rather than make do with anything else. It is harder to get now than it used to be, I had to go out if my way the last time I needed some.

That was the conclusion I was coming too - I do have some (from Amazon) but would need to get more for the surface area.

Thanks - I do have one 125ml bottle - I'm just about to order another 4 bottles from Mr Bezos having tried a patch test this morning - I've also found something else where I need to replace the baize so hopefully that will be enough glue!

I’d use copydex too - have you seen @custard post for lining drawers, that method works a treat on boxes, but not tried something as large as 70cm

Padster

Copydex due to be delivered today - the baize I applied to a small desktop flight of drawers using it is perfect - glued on with an overlap at the edges and then trimmed with a scalpel and cutting mat. The case bases will be done today.

The last time I did what you’re doing I didn’t glue the baize all over, I very lightly stretched it and glued it onto the back of the board about an inch all the way round with PVA, it’s been out there for 4 years now, obviously not exposed to the elements. Ian

The last time I did what you’re doing I didn’t glue the baize all over, I very lightly stretched it and glued it onto the back of the board about an inch all the way round with PVA, it’s been out there for 4 years now, obviously not exposed to the elements. Ian

Thanks - that's interesting the - thing I re-covered yesterday had the old blaize just glued at the edges (IIRC about 35 years ago, by me - size about 60 x 15cm ) and had stretched and creased - probably a lot to do with the quality of the felt/baize. The new stuff is quite thick but does seem to have some stretch so as it's quite a large area I think I'll glue all over (and I've invested in enough Copydex!)

I have two chests with 18 drawers for medals collecting. They had been specimen drawers and were bare wood. I covered the thin paper/foam board with baize cut to the right size to fit tightly. A very neat finish and removable. I was warned about wool based baize as it absorbs moisture and can damage anything put on it, I used the man made equivalent
Pat

I see you've already ordered, but another vote for Copydex. FYI, WH Smith carry it (at least, my local one does).

Thanks - that's interesting the - thing I re-covered yesterday had the old blaize just glued at the edges (IIRC about 35 years ago, by me - size about 60 x 15cm ) and had stretched and creased - probably a lot to do with the quality of the felt/baize. The new stuff is quite thick but does seem to have some stretch so as it's quite a large area I think I'll glue all over (and I've invested in enough Copydex!)
I haven’t used a Copydex for quite a few years but I seem to remember it can go into lumps when you are applying i,t just mentioning it.

UPDATE - Copydex worked a treat - painted it on, gave it about 5 minutes to get tacky rather than wet and laid the baize on, smoothing it as I went. Left about 3cm overlap all round and then when dry trimmed it off with a surgical scalpel on a cutting mat. Perfect.

Only downside was that I overestimated the amount of Copydex and now have a 1/4 of a bottle and 2 full ones left over - it shoud keep OK.

UPDATE - Copydex worked a treat - painted it on, gave it about 5 minutes to get tacky rather than wet and laid the baize on, smoothing it as I went. Left about 3cm overlap all round and then when dry trimmed it off with a surgical scalpel on a cutting mat. Perfect.

Only downside was that I overestimated the amount of Copydex and now have a 1/4 of a bottle and 2 full ones left over - it shoud keep OK.

The 2 will keep ok. The 1/4 maybe a lottery if you leave it a few months.

Latest posts

Back