Applying glue!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson Carpentry

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok so normal carpenters glue (some sort of poly vinyl). We are talking about gluing up boards edge to edge to make panels etc.

(Ok whats with the glue questions: I have been gluing up panels for kitchen doors and units for the last 2 weeks and while sanding them back I have pondered the glue up methods)

Do you brush, roll or direct (direct being just applying the glue to the surface directly from the glue bottle). Also why?

Personally for the task above I use a roller end on my bottle. I find it applies just enough glue, evenly and quicker then brushing. I find with a brush I tend to put to much glue on.

I'm a little puzzled by "gluing up boards end to end " but assume we are talking of joining boards edge to edge?

For joining edge joining boards I use the good old fashioned rubbed joint with the minimal amount of glue brushed onto each surface. I seldom use biscuits or splines - and then only for easier positioning. I have use a roller for large/wide surfaces and I agree they do put down a nice even not too thick coating but normally it's a brush.

I have seen people just run a line of glue down the edges and then slam and clamp the boards together - not good!

I've a purpose made set of glue spreaders, always handy five on one hand four on the other :roll: (one wore down too short)

mn pete":2e4p2i4b said:
I actually have one of those rollers but I've never tried it.
If we're talking about the 2" type that screws onto a bottle then, they are brill, they apply an even coat quickly and easily.

I have a plastic container screwed to my toolboard over the bench. It's the bottom few inches of a square fabric conditioner bottle. It's full of glue sticks, each about 75 x 12 x 2mm. Always to hand, disposable and free.
S

I use and artists cheapo paint brush for smaller stuff, lolly sticks nicked from Costa :oops: or similar and a white plastic craft glue spreader (the sort of thing kiddies use at nursery school) ...cost about 50p from an art shop, for bigger areas, ie tenons. When I'm veneering, the glue gets spread with a piece of acrylic with serrations cut into the edge - Rob

I use cheap artist's paint brushes from The Works or similar - you can get a variety of widths for a pound or two and the long handles reach to the bottom of the bottle. I can't see the point of putting on more than you need just to make a second job of cleaning it all up.

Straight from the bottle then brush.

and then only for easier positioning.

A point with biscuits that seems to be overlooked frequently. I have free standing furniture/cabinets/wardrobes etc built in sections that simply stand together using biscuits to align them.
The computer cabinet/desk that I'm sitting at is made with mitred corners, and biscuits are the best way I know of stopping them sliding during assembly.

Roy.

You need a GluBot:

glue-2.jpg

well to be fair, we don't use that attachment often, but the OP was asking for an easier way to apply glue on edges.

The glubot is great though, wouldn't be without it

wizer":t0ul0s3c said:
well to be fair, we don't use that attachment often, but the OP was asking for an easier way to apply glue on edges.

The glubot is great though, wouldn't be without it

I wasn't asking for an easier way. I stated my way (normally roller) and started a debate. Thanks anyway I have never seen a glubot before or heard of them. Not something Ill buy though as if I apply glue from the bottle I apply it in a wave pattern then brush, again I find it quicker then spreading a straight glue bead. The titebond bottles come with a nozzle thats flat like that.

Back