Applying glue to Dominoes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aled Dafis":2pzw8szo said:
I was of the understanding that you should always apply glue to both sides of the joint to ensure that they stuck together properly.
...which is what I do as there's then little danger that you might have missed a bit. If all mating surfaces are covered, then you can be pretty sure that the joint will go together well and if it's only just a light coating of glue, then 'squeeze out' is also kept to a minimum - Rob

I agree totally with the last two posts-- but why don't the manufacturers?
Actually I've just looked at 3 in use at the moment---Everbuild --apply glue to both sides. Resin "W"-- apply to one side only. Wudcare-- apply to one side only. There must be reasons- they don't give instructions for fun.

woodbloke":2o7p3zrd said:
Aled Dafis":2o7p3zrd said:
I was of the understanding that you should always apply glue to both sides of the joint to ensure that they stuck together properly.
...which is what I do as there's then little danger that you might have missed a bit. If all mating surfaces are covered, then you can be pretty sure that the joint will go together well and if it's only just a light coating of glue, then 'squeeze out' is also kept to a minimum -

I agree that both surfaces should be coated with glue. The issue with Dominos (and biscuits and stopped M/Ts) is which method of application results in both surfaces effectively being coated with glue. In my experience, because Dominos are a close fit, most glue which you apply to the surface of the Domino before inserting it is scraped off by the action of inserting the Domino into its mortice. However, if you put the correct amount of glue into the mortice, sufficient glue will be forced up along the sides of the Domino as it is inserted into the mortice. The "correct amount" comes with experience.

At the end of the day I don't really care how others glue their Dominos and most methods appear to work as I've not read any reports of joints failing. However, it's easy enough to work out for yourself which is the best method by doing a few test joints and then sawing them open to see which ones have worked the best.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Back