Apple wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treetops

Reaction score
Hi we have a quantity of large apple trunks up to 28 inch dia. Also quantity of apple burr not sure where the best place is to sell it

Apple wood is very hard when seasoned and was used along with other fruit woods for mill cog wheels. Polishes up well. Turners like it. Has some value if in large pieces. Nice for you.

Approx 50 trunks between 16 -30 inch dia. 4-5 foot long most sound no rot have planked a few. Road side collection. Approx 200 “lumps“ of burr. Located in Abberley worcs.

I would certainly be interested in a couple of the planks. Do you have a price in mind? Collection is no problem as I am fairly local.

Bob

If I was you, I'd also put this in the Woodturning section as well. Some of the major woodturners in this Forum rarely venture over to the Flat side.

Probably most of the Burrs will be O.K. for turning as they are, but if using boards for turning. most people would probably prefer somewhat thicker than 2".

I've turned Apple but never used it for anything else, so can't advise how it works for other purposes, but I would imagine it's going to similar to other Fruitwoods. (Cherry is highly desirable for Furniture making).

dickm":830j24ce said:
Nice to think of all that timber, but sad that another old orchard is being destroyed.

Dick,

"Old" is the operative word here, they can be replanted and it won't be long before they are producing apples.

Andy

andersonec":jdzwtk9c said:
"Old" is the operative word here, they can be replanted and it won't be long before they are producing apples.

True, but the old trees represent useful biodiversity as habitat, they may be some interesting native varieties and I suspect these may not be being replaced.
Unless they are really rubbish, then I'd always prefer to do some careful pruning to try and rejuvenate them. But then, we can't really grow apples up here, so it's academic :(

Back