Apple Trunk

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hitch

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive been offered a fairly substantial chunk of an apple tree, the main trunk...
Its currently about 6-7' long, and about 12-14" diameter.

Their gardener is going to chop it in half so its liftable, then i can have it. It was initially felled about 5 days ago.

Now, the question being, how to turn it into useful material. I was planning to slice a thin bit off to give a flattish side, then cut say 3-4 slabs of it about 3" thick, and leave it about 3' long to dry slowly.
Seal the ends, and stack it in the back of the shed.
I don't have the capacity to turn it as slices of trunk sensibly.

Perhaps keep a bit to hand to play with some green turning...rough a couple of bowls and store away to finish later.

Am i heading in the right direction with this?

That is probably your best option with least risk of loosing it to splits.
3" slabs down the length is still going to take several years to get down to 10-12%.

Slicing rounds off the trunk is about the worst scenario for encouraging splitting so no problems leaving that option out.

If you want to consider a bowl or similar deeper than your 3" slabs then you could split one log down through the pith, seal the ends but not the split face, leave the bark on.

Turning it green is a bit of a black art, as fruit wood is notorious for splitting as soon as you look at it, you might consider it as too great a risk if the wood is quality.

I did wonder about cutting it into slabs, then into say 12" squares or so, and sealing, but thought that would likely end up losing more from splits as it would dry quicker.

Its no great loss if it doesn't work out- it hasnt cost me a bean, it was only destined for a log burner anyway!

Keep it as long as possible, as long as possible, then any end grain splitting is confined to a minimum.
If you cut it into squares or rounds there is a much higher risk of loosing every piece to end grain splits.

I fully concur with that notion of Chas's split ends! Where possible I now cut my green logs 6" oversize at each end. That is allowing up to 12" of wasted material being cut off the ends to ward off the dreaded cracks.

If you turn it green do it quickly, rough turn, stick in a plastic bag with some newspaper or shavings and cross your fingers and anything else you can. As Chas said fruit wood splits easily but if the apple I have used is anything to go by it is worth the effort.

Pete
apple wabi sabi.jpg

Attachments

• apple wabi sabi.jpg
    apple wabi sabi.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1,114
  • apple burr ebony finial  2.jpg
    apple burr ebony finial 2.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 1,113
Stunning! I can only dream that any of it turns out as nice as that!

Thanks for the advice.

Bodrighy":3jh4s7c0 said:
If you turn it green do it quickly, rough turn, stick in a plastic bag with some newspaper or shavings and cross your fingers and anything else you can. As Chas said fruit wood splits easily but if the apple I have used is anything to go by it is worth the effort.

Pete

paper bag if you can get it would be better.
If you use plastic turn it inside out on a regular basis or you will get spalting - conversely you may want spalting.

Brian

Back