Apple Tree

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topconker

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, am about to cut down an apple tree and wonder if the trunk will be any use to turn with.

Yes, fruit wood tends to be good for turning and other woodwork. The issue tends to be the size. Be sure to paint the ends as soon as you can.

The minimum size is dependant on what you want to make, but my point was that it would be nice for furniture, save for the fact that you would struggle to get big boards.

Any old paint will do, I use whatever is left over. Or PVA will do too.

There are some comments on storing Green wood in the help sticky at the top of the section.

You can use anything on the ends of the logs or any end grain surfaces, Hot Wax, PVA adhesive, old leftover paint (it's a good way to use up those part used tins).
some use packing strength Cling film, the aim is to mimic the moisture loss speed to that of the Bark Covered surfaces.

Fruit wood is notoriously difficult to dry in log form without it splitting, I have better luck in cutting it into slabs 75-100mm thick ( don't seal the side grain faces just the end grain ends.

The slower you can dry it the better your chances, fruit wood is usually rather close grained and dense and it takes a long time for the internal moisture to migrate to the surface, if the surface wood dries out quicker than it's migrating it will split.

Back