apologies to my neighbour and question of oak grain

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
from the recently gleaned joinery scraps pile a small oak trinket box, with my first finial :) (but i think its too big :( )
oak trinket box1.JPG

this is the second attempt as during the first, after refitting lid and just taking the slight discrepancy in size down with a scraper, BANG! this is where the apology comes in :oops: i did somewhat shatter the peace and quiet of the countryside with a loud exclamation of 'pants!' (or similar :evil: ). as can be seen i could only find three of the four pieces, the last is with those single socks somewhere!
oak trinket box 1and2.JPG

a question about oak - when sanding which way does the grain go? theres lines all over place!? :?
oak trinket box.JPG

Attachments

• oak trinket box1.JPG
    oak trinket box1.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 688
  • oak trinket box 1and2.JPG
    oak trinket box 1and2.JPG
    237.5 KB · Views: 688
  • oak trinket box.JPG
    oak trinket box.JPG
    217.4 KB · Views: 708
Hi Nev,

Good question on the oak, I look forward to the experienced replies.

The box has turned out very well. Those that know my preferences will not be surprised that I find the black bit on top is in fact - a knob. Could do with slimming a bit more towards the top but I reckon the bottom diameter looks fine. Just needs to be a whole lot taller :D

Hope the neighbour is still talking to you.

Nev, the grain in the bottom pic is top to bottom. The other marks are rays that Oak has running through it at 90 degrees to the grain.

The box and finial are great, I think that size and shape finial looks fine on the box.

johnny.t.":2ufu2oo7 said:
Nev, the grain in the bottom pic is top to bottom. The other marks are rays that Oak has running through it at 90 degrees to the grain.

The box and finial are great, I think that size and shape finial looks fine on the box.

I think what Nev means is that the grain is running top to bottom in the pic, but is in fact running side to side in the actual box. The medullary rays are what makes quarter sawn oak so beautiful (and sought after).

I don't turn much oak, but every time I do, I'm surprised at how easy it is to turn for such a hard wood. Nice work!

Aled

I have a huge pile of oak, which I am working my way through bit by bit. I find that olive oil raises the grain prior to sanding, but doesn't darken the wood too much. I sometimes coat with oil and lightly "plane" the surface with the skew as well, although it sometimes leaves more marks than I started with.

Full of admiration for that Nev. I also think the finial (or knob) is fine as it is.

medullary rays, a new term to add to my (limited :) ) vocabulary. wasnt quite sure what quarter sawn was either :oops: but just looked it up and it was what i thought it was :D
(for others that are not 100% http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarter_sawing)

Gordon, i too would call it a knob but i didnt think it would PC for me to state 'i think my knob is too big' :shock:

aint the internet great.... i just looked up finial - The finial is an architectural device, typically carved in stone and employed decoratively to emphasize the apex of a gable.....

so its a decorative fancy bit :) but i did find this bit amusing.....

finials were once believed to act as a deterrent to witches on broomsticks attempting to land on one's roof. :shock:

so there must be a lot of air traffic round johnnys place at halloween :mrgreen:

Jonzjob":38egfaw5 said:
Well, I must admit that I like both the box and the 'finial' Nev :mrgreen: Nice finish too and I do like the shape. A taller 'finial' would make it look far too heavy..
Wot a load of rubbish this man talks. never known anyone like it, he wouldn't know a decent finial if it bit him on the .......you know what. :roll:

Finials can be as high as the sky, taller the better, long and thin, short and fat (though not as short and thin as this :lol: ) is possible but then its down to the PC bit again init.

Don't listen to John, except for the "likes the box" bit.

Then again, you probably shouldn't listen to me either.

Back