Apologies for yet another choice bandsaw thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you may be ight @sunnybob, i just measured one of my wider pieces of ABW which is 250mm, so i would say 260mm capacity to be on the safe side

FWIW if you want feedback from someone who uses a Sabre 450. Tensioning a 19mm blade is effortless (that’s the biggest I use) and once set up properly it cuts straight. Everything is cast iron except the fence. Not sure I’d fetishise the cast iron bit as much as some, but I’ve no complaints over the quality of the casting or milled surfaces. With the RIGHT blade it resaws very nicely. I sawed a meter long 180mm piece of bone dry ash yesterday and it just needed a couple of passes on the planer to true up the sawn face. Not sure it’s a machine I would buy for 8 hours a day, but for light use it “does what it says on the tin”.

300 cut mm is a VERY BIG machine. If youre only hobby, do you need that much? My axminster 350 will saw up to 200 mm (if I remove the guide block :cool: ) I make bandsaw boxes and thats enough for my use.

I had a look at my project list and I could get away with a Record BS250, but I'd like to make boxes so what are your thoughts? I know a larger size would make it easier to separate the lid but I could always knock up a jig to help do those by hand.

Bill, if you browse through the link in my signature, they were all made on the bandsaw I have. I did make one large treasure chest that was too big to go under the bandsaw. I made it in two pieces and glued it together after shaping it. Theres always a work around :cool:
This set is what I'm talking about.
The big one is almost a foot long x 8" high.
It was made in two pieces, then glued, then the interior was cut out and then next boxes made.

IMG_2040.JPG

This is the inside of one of the smaller boxes.
IMG_2065.JPG

I had a look at my project list and I could get away with a Record BS250, but I'd like to make boxes so what are your thoughts? I know a larger size would make it easier to separate the lid but I could always knock up a jig to help do those by hand.
I always cut the lids off by hand using a japanese saw which means I lose less than 1mm in total kerf. Cutting off using the BS would be slightly quicker but mistakes also happen a lot quicker. If I were buying a new saw I would draw up a list of what I wanted to do with it and then prioritise and think about other tools that can do the same job (cutting curves, ripping wany edge boards, joint cutting, cutting veneers/resawing material etc)
Ian

Try cutting a curved lid off a 1 foot long treasure chest by hand :oops:
Bandsaws rule O.K.? :cool:

I find myself in a dilemma.

I took a trip down to Yandles yesterday t look at the Laguna 14bx.....didnt have any

Im looking to spend around 1500 and was pretty much set on the 14bx...until the guy in the shop was saying the Sabre 450 although made in china has excellent aftercare which is UK based. I have always discounted record power as i thought they were in the same league as draper etc.

He was saying the laguna could be a pita if anything went wrong.......

Hi Craig, 14BX back in stock in about 4 weeks.

Not sure why he said Laguna could be 'a pita'?- we are UK based too as importers / hold spares etc & fully follow up on all customer service issues (they are rare)

Just saying to set things straight

All the best with whatever you choose to go for

Thanks,
Nick

That saw in Wantage doesn't look far from you at all.
Its got more resaw capacity than the old SCM machine.
I would ask how the guides and tires are, and if its running OK
and if it is offer 800 to 900 pounds depending on condition, as that's what it's worth if you want a saw now.
It would be nicer if it were 3 hp and that's one bargaining chip....
Three phase saws of that size are usually about 800 or 900 quid, but might be a long wait to find one in your location.
That's a bit of a rare saw, super nice size if a 600mm/24" saw is too large.
The footprint I'm referring to is from the column, say against the wall to the
table, its a noticeable change from a 20" machine to a 24" one in this regard, but a 24" machine doesn't look so big anymore to me once I got using it,
infact the extra table size on my SNA600 is lovely.
I'd hate to go back to a wee table now, got rather accustomed to being a more pleasurable distance away from the blade.
If you don't have dust collection system, a big saw seems less dusty as it contains it more, whilst that dust aint going to be quite as bad on your hands being further away from the cut.
Walnut is irritant to horses, and shavings shouldn't be used for bedding.
So I suppose it might be irritant to your hands also.

It might be hard to find tires for it though, that's another let down, might be worth asking S&S before you enquire about a machine, or mabye a better idea to ask Felder for FB540 tires if the saw needs them.
(not sure if Felder still make the 540 as they have a 510 now I believe, but that's not to say they still don't do the 540 also.
ACM still probably do, as i'd guess you can still get the SNAC saws, (identical) I'm not sure, but you might get a few more hits that would lead you to the SNAC by searching for the ACM STAR series.
but I've heard of those Italians hard to deal with directly
You have the option of a motor swap if it proves slow work, with that 16a supply you had installed...
A cheap 3 horsepower, hundred quid VFD might prove useful for another machine if its not enough... I suggest the extra 20 quid for the 3 hp version instead of the 2hp for future possible use on something else.
Those are all considerations and possible bargain chips.

That, or the other similar sized Wadkin from S&S,
would be my first choice, the SCM would be second if around a grand plus say two or three hundred what they would want for reselling it...
and the other newish but seemingly discontinued Axi, or the new Hammer machine on gumtree is a bit of a step down but would sell again easily if need be.
Unsure if the latter have the capacity or the beef you want to do long rips in deep stock.
I'd personally be looking for at or over the 200kg mark to be sure, but it would be nice to know you could run a 1" wodmaster CT if you ever wanted.
Have a look at the results from this blade,
p.s that aint no ordinary Grizzly saw, its stout as frig if you want to look up the weight spec for that specific model.
https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?280590-The-Incredible-Woodmaster-CT
That's about all I can see ATM
Best of luck with your shopping Craig
Tom

Last edited:
That saw in Wantage doesn't look far from you at all.
Its got more resaw capacity than the old SCM machine.
I would ask how the guides and tires are, and if its running OK
and if it is offer 800 to 900 pounds depending on condition, as that's what it's worth if you want a saw now.
It would be nicer if it were 3 hp and that's one bargaining chip....
Three phase saws of that size are usually about 800 or 900 quid, but might be a long wait to find one in your location.
That's a bit of a rare saw, super nice size if a 600mm/24" saw is too large.
The footprint I'm referring to is from the column, say against the wall to the
table, its a noticeable change from a 20" machine to a 24" one in this regard, but a 24" machine doesn't look so big anymore to me once I got using it,
infact the extra table size on my SNA600 is lovely.
I'd hate to go back to a wee table now, got rather accustomed to being a more pleasurable distance away from the blade.
If you don't have dust collection system, a big saw seems less dusty as it contains it more, whilst that dust aint going to be quite as bad on your hands being further away from the cut.
Walnut is irritant to horses, and shavings shouldn't be used for bedding.
So I suppose it might be irritant to your hands also.

It might be hard to find tires for it though, that's another let down, might be worth asking S&S before you enquire about a machine, or mabye a better idea to ask Felder for FB540 tires if the saw needs them.
(not sure if Felder still make the 540 as they have a 510 now I believe, but that's not to say they still don't do the 540 also.
ACM still probably do, as i'd guess you can still get the SNAC saws, (identical) I'm not sure, but you might get a few more hits that would lead you to the SNAC by searching for the ACM STAR series.
but I've heard of those Italians hard to deal with directly
You have the option of a motor swap if it proves slow work, with that 16a supply you had installed...
A cheap 3 horsepower, hundred quid VFD might prove useful for another machine if its not enough... I suggest the extra 20 quid for the 3 hp version instead of the 2hp for future possible use on something else.
Those are all considerations and possible bargain chips.

That, or the other similar sized Wadkin from S&S,
would be my first choice, the SCM would be second if around a grand plus say two or three hundred what they would want for reselling it...
and the other newish but seemingly discontinued Axi, or the new Hammer machine on gumtree is a bit of a step down but would sell again easily if need be.
Unsure if the latter have the capacity or the beef you want to do long rips in deep stock.
I'd personally be looking for at or over the 200kg mark to be sure, but it would be nice to know you could run a 1" wodmaster CT if you ever wanted.
Have a look at the results from this blade,
p.s that aint no ordinary Grizzly saw, its stout as frig if you want to look up the weight spec for that specific model.
https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?280590-The-Incredible-Woodmaster-CT
That's about all I can see ATM
Best of luck with your shopping Craig
Tom

Just out of interest, where are you seeing these saws Tom?

Hi Craig
On ebay.co.uk, buy it now, uk only, used boxes clicked, and newest first...
that will sort it out, under bandsaw I think, I normally check how many listings for each.
Will come as second nature to you if you get the bug.:)
I think the Hammer was on gumtree.

i think i need to limit myself and lower my requirements, otherwise it will be a case of having huge machines and nowhere to actually use them in a single garage :) as much as i would like more bigger more better, id have to limit to 16-18" which will of course lower my resaw capacity. I guess as long as it will get through 250mm walnut about 1300mm long on occasion i should be good.....le sigh

That pristine Hammer N4400 would be a good deal then.
Derek Cohen has one if you wanted to look up some good pics and that.
edit: only seen that its way up north :)
How long are you prepared to wait is another factor, if shipping is expensive,
not sure of the costs in UK.
That Griggio SNAC could be the closest saw at hand that could be bought
for less than a grand.
Hopefully others could chime in and give you an idea of the price difference and availability in used machinery regarding location in the UK
That would be a factor also.
That much bigger of a footprint (what would it be, three inches?)
is relatively unimportant if its going to be your only sawing machine in the workshop.
The table is large on it compared to many 20" machines though, and that might be a bit much in respects to space in your workshop.

Good luck with whatever you choose
Tom

p.s here's a piccy to show the footprint difference between sizes of these machines.
24.jpg

Last edited:
cheers Tom,

That Griggio is 2 grand in Wantage and it does look like it will take a huge amount of room, factor in a vfd and a courier, id imagine thats another 500. im not in a huge rush, to wait for the right machine to come up. id hate to think how much it would cost to get that 4400 here from the highlands lol

Thanks for all the replies, just to close this out (and being impatient) I went for a Laguna 18BX which hopefully will be here this week although i'm not holding my breath.

now to find an extractor for the thing :)

Back