Anyone worked with holly?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@HamsterJam would be interested in your Holly if you decide to dispose of it, I am in Coventry so could collect.
Give me a shout when you decide.cheers

Hi Davy,
This is what I have if you are interested…,
347D7767-F64B-4995-B72C-704CD6ACBB3C.jpeg

Holly is good for turning but it depends on what you make with it, from experience I find any single item is usually OK, but dual items such as boxes are not, for the reason that Holly never seems to keep still, a well fitted lid today, even when the wood is dry, can be off shape and not fitting a few days later depending, (i suppose) on the ambient humidity. It is a difficult wood to season as well as it is very prone to splitting internally, Best converted to 50mm boards and end sealed as logs invariably split. Woodworm loves it too. It's very good for spindle turning.

all my Holly is aimed at turning and is pretty wood. I did once have a large trunk of straight holly but family member sort fit to give it away (to Axminster tools :() If it was me on this (and although an Engineer) I have never built a bike frame, I would look at Ash first for the Morgan reasons above. I remember seeing them in the factory 45 years ago doing this. But Holly is a lovely wood.

@HamsterJam would be interested in your Holly if you decide to dispose of it, I am in Coventry so could collect.
Give me a shout when you decide.cheers.
I think circumstances have decided for me. I have quite a s lot of wood and it is impractical to take it all with me.
I’ll PM you.

Back