Anyone with issues leveling a Jessem lift

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spectric

Staff member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Well this Jessem lift is in a Kreg table and I can now honestly say that the Kreg method of leveling the router plate is a better solution than what Jessem have decided to use. Jessem use grub screws in the plate, Kreg use adjusters in corner mounting supports which need to be adjusted from below the table. If you had a Jessem top or machined the apperture yourself to a precise depth then maybe the problem could be avoided because you would not require to use the adjusters but for other setups like Kreg then as I have said before the Jessem mounting kit would have been the better option had it been available. My issue now is that it takes some time to level the plate but after a few days it has moved, not much but enough to prevent the workpiece moving smoothly past the cutter and so more time to re adjust. Cannot see where this movement is occuring but has anyone else had similar experiences with leveling a Jessem lifter?

Hi @Spectric sorry to hear you are having issues leveling your plate, I think I remember you posting that you re tapped the holes for the grub screws. These are usually tight to ensure the grub screws don't move if there is any vibration in use. I would suggest using some loctite to help fix the screws once adjusted and plate is leveled. Our tables are manufactured with 0.5 to 1mm height adjustment in the rebates, I think you mentioned you needed a lot more for your own setup-how just wondering how much thread is within the plate.

I am out for the next couple of days but if you are still having issues please contact technical support in the shop. [email protected]

Hope you get it sorted out.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter

I think the issue is with the limited range of adjustment provided by those grub screws, as you ask
how much thread is within the plate
and they are wound down a fair amount, more than I like.

What I have now down is to run some wood through my thicknesser rather than use an available piece so that with the grubs backed out the plate now sits almost flush in the apperture. I will leave it overnight sitting so as it can settle and will adjust tommorow. This has been a good learning curve, and on my new bench with the router built in I am now leaning towards using those six Jessem adjusters because it means just an apperture with no recess and plenty of adjustment.

The problem with longer grub screws is that as we know they only come in certain lengths and the next size up would be to long and protrude above the plate, plus they are 1/4 UNF. The design is such that they only allow very fine adjustment and rely on the recess being precise. There is no recess in the Kreg table tops but the adjusters have around 20mm of adjustment and so by thicknessing my own infills I have got round the problem. On my next bench I will think about using the Jessem plates which give more adjustment and I will not have to play with those grub screws.

Latest posts

Back