Anyone with big machinery here, willing to help??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fanous

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for an individual, or a company, that would help me square up my large timber, so I can finish the workbench build.

I'm based near Daventry (NN11 xxx)

What I have at home, is glued section of a workbench top, that need further gluing, but I'm struggling to get a nice flat surfaces for the glue. My machinery just can't deliver the results I want. It's just too small, and hobby grade. So I'm after someone who could help.

Timber:
- Southern yellow pine
- 2m long, profile 165mm by 95mm
- Image shows one section. I have 4 of them. Top and bottom already flat and parallel. Just the sides I need help with.

I'm not looking for tips how to do this at home, or what I'm doing wrong. Trust me I tried many methotds, and my timber is getting smaller and smaller. Just want it done...

Thanks all

Attachments

• 239771210_541126580471496_5738356951307625796_n.jpg
    239771210_541126580471496_5738356951307625796_n.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 61
Just Google carpentry firms and look for a small one and pop round sure they will do it end of the day?!

Cheers James

I'm looking for an individual, or a company, that would help me square up my large timber, so I can finish the workbench build.

I'm based near Daventry (NN11 xxx)

What I have at home, is glued section of a workbench top, that need further gluing, but I'm struggling to get a nice flat surfaces for the glue. My machinery just can't deliver the results I want. It's just too small, and hobby grade. So I'm after someone who could help.

Timber:
- Southern yellow pine
- 2m long, profile 165mm by 95mm
- Image shows one section. I have 4 of them. Top and bottom already flat and parallel. Just the sides I need help with.

I'm not looking for tips how to do this at home, or what I'm doing wrong. Trust me I tried many methotds, and my timber is getting smaller and smaller. Just want it done...

Thanks all
Try Home - Elite Woodwork they're a nice bunch who may be able to help for some beer tokens

cheers
Mike

Why don't you glue them all together and plane as a whole?

Much easier to get a flat surface?

If I can plane a table top flat anyone can!!!

Cheers James

Just Google carpentry firms and look for a small one and pop round sure they will do it end of the day?!

Cheers James

Yeah I've emailed about 3 places so far, nothing...

Try Home - Elite Woodwork they're a nice bunch who may be able to help for some beer tokens

cheers
Mike

I'll try, thanks

Why don't you glue them all together and plane as a whole?

Much easier to get a flat surface?

If I can plane a table top flat anyone can!!!

Cheers James

I have done it in 4 sections to have 'small' enough timber to use my jointer. Still glad I did that, because the main surfaces turned out flat enough, and I used hand plane to chase the impefrections. But the sides are just troublesome. When I put two sections side by side, I always have an awful gap... :/

Not on your doorstep, but not too far. Mike at MAC timbers over near Oundle, Northants, would do it for beer tokens. As a bonus you can look around his impressive wood stock. Call him on 01832 205123 or www.mactimbers.com.

Tom.

Hope you can get it sorted, a good lesson to be learnt here and that is in design, we have all done it at some point and often more than once where we have some idea and go for it only to find we hit obstacles in the build, ie don't have the right tools or we are trying to do something nigh on impossible.

Having worked in engineering one important concept is to design for manufacturing, in our case try and work within the limitations of your workshop so your ideas can easily become reality. I have gone done many a cul de sac, some quiet long and found a wall, then a case of if only I had done it this way but too late.

A workbench idea I found very interesting was one where it was made from laminated ply, several pieces all glued and clamped but being ply it was easier to glue the flat surfaces. Look at hooked on wood, Hooked on Wood - Shop Improvements

Hope you can get it sorted, a good lesson to be learnt here and that is in design, we have all done it at some point and often more than once where we have some idea and go for it only to find we hit obstacles in the build, ie don't have the right tools or we are trying to do something nigh on impossible.

Having worked in engineering one important concept is to design for manufacturing, in our case try and work within the limitations of your workshop so your ideas can easily become reality. I have gone done many a cul de sac, some quiet long and found a wall, then a case of if only I had done it this way but too late.

A workbench idea I found very interesting was one where it was made from laminated ply, several pieces all glued and clamped but being ply it was easier to glue the flat surfaces. Look at hooked on wood, Hooked on Wood - Shop Improvements

Hey bud, I hear what you are saying, and agree to most of it. I did hit limitation of my tool, as my lumber is just too large and mainly heavy for it. It's deflecting the infeed table and as such it inevitebly ends up out of flat on my tiny jointer from Axminster. Also not being able to put enough pressure to hold the wood to the fence... I have managed once side to be flat and square to the previous surface, but not milled everywhere. So I had to do more passes. And that's the problem. The consistency is not there. One pass will be OK, other not...

Talking about engineering and build for manufacturing and all that - that's my bread and butter being in automotive R&D. I think I've done alright on the planning side of things overall, but as you know, I ran into this one problem. Hard to say if I will be making more large things in the future, I think everything from now on will be small in comparison, but still lesson learned if you think about it.

Talking about the bench, I did not show much of it. Here we go then...

Attachments

• 241124534_856731555230620_6687658979627515254_n.jpg
    241124534_856731555230620_6687658979627515254_n.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 241137929_225867472815192_8551588558621937282_n.jpg
    241137929_225867472815192_8551588558621937282_n.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 241242622_1158640724626849_7653771478735785713_n.jpg
    241242622_1158640724626849_7653771478735785713_n.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 58
Hey bud, I hear what you are saying, and agree to most of it. I did hit limitation of my tool, as my lumber is just too large and mainly heavy for it. It's deflecting the infeed table and as such it inevitebly ends up out of flat on my tiny jointer from Axminster. Also not being able to put enough pressure to hold the wood to the fence... I have managed once side to be flat and square to the previous surface, but not milled everywhere. So I had to do more passes. And that's the problem. The consistency is not there. One pass will be OK, other not...

Talking about engineering and build for manufacturing and all that - that's my bread and butter being in automotive R&D. I think I've done alright on the planning side of things overall, but as you know, I ran into this one problem. Hard to say if I will be making more large things in the future, I think everything from now on will be small in comparison, but still lesson learned if you think about it.

Those wedges won't fall out when planning?

Nice details.

Cheers James

Ps hope you don't work for Renault / vauxhall r+d!!

Not on your doorstep, but not too far. Mike at MAC timbers over near Oundle, Northants, would do it for beer tokens. As a bonus you can look around his impressive wood stock. Call him on 01832 205123 or www.mactimbers.com.

Tom.

Thanks for the tip, much appreciated. As per Mike's tip, I got in touch with Elite Woodwork, and I will be calling them on Monday to sort it out, so I should be alright. This other contact might come handy later. I have a lovely slab of wallnut. It's rather massive. I will need to find someone who will be able to re-saw it in half to make a bookmatch dinner table out of it. Should be a fun project, and MAC timber look like they will have the tools for it. And on their web, that massive jointer... :love:

Those wedges won't fall out when planning?

Nice details.

Cheers James

Ps hope you don't work for Renault / vauxhall r+d!!

Friction is rather high, and they are set in quite nicely. I actually had to hammer them out after a trial fit! So I'm confident that's there to stay.

About Renault and Vauxhaul... Not sure how to take this comment. I have a feeling you think I'm a dung engineer (I'm not..), and you drive one of those... :cautious: To answer your question... No... Been in VW group, Jaguar Land Rover, and now a new place I'm not gonna tell you about :p

that's my bread and butter being in automotive R&D
I was in powertrain R&D for many years, instrumentation, electrical and electronic's main areas covered. I must say that years ago the French motors may have been a little different but that French Euro 2.1 diesel developed by PSA was probably one of the best ever made. I don't like the modern common rail diesels, if you want the power of a petrol then buy one. As for Vauxhall well they have had a few moments like the big old 3.3 litre ventora that I used to get to colledge in.

I was in powertrain R&D for many years, instrumentation, electrical and electronic's main areas covered. I must say that years ago the French motors may have been a little different but that French Euro 2.1 diesel developed by PSA was probably one of the best ever made. I don't like the modern common rail diesels, if you want the power of a petrol then buy one. As for Vauxhall well they have had a few moments like the big old 3.3 litre ventora that I used to get to colledge in.

Nice one... Soon to be all electric, and few companies dipping their toes to Hydrogen. We shall see how it's gonna go. I'm doing harness CAD packaging in electrical. It's amazing how much of it is there. Kilos and kilos of copper everywhere. I guess good for me, keeps me busy.

Friction is rather high, and they are set in quite nicely. I actually had to hammer them out after a trial fit! So I'm confident that's there to stay.

About Renault and Vauxhaul... Not sure how to take this comment. I have a feeling you think I'm a dung engineer (I'm not..), and you drive one of those... :cautious: To answer your question... No... Been in VW group, Jaguar Land Rover, and now a new place I'm not gonna tell you about :p
Have you been to the pub?!! 🤔😉 I think my mate will be putting down a deposit on one

I'm doing harness CAD packaging in electrical. It's amazing how much of it is there is
Yes the electrical systems have just grown and become much more complex, when the ICE goes there should be a big reduction as so many of those systems also go. I do think about all the potential job loses or skills that will become historical, areas like cylinder head design and airflow, turbochargers and emission systems, exhaust and engine management control systems and the list grows. Electric motors are much easier to control it is just the batteries need to catch up.

Yes the electrical systems have just grown and become much more complex, when the ICE goes there should be a big reduction as so many of those systems also go. I do think about all the potential job loses or skills that will become historical, areas like cylinder head design and airflow, turbochargers and emission systems, exhaust and engine management control systems and the list grows. Electric motors are much easier to control it is just the batteries need to catch up.

I don't think they will become all obsolete. In automotive, maybe. Some skill might shift to hydrogen cars. But agricultural, construction machine, and similar beasts, they will long remain ICE. I've heard someone calculated the size of the battery needed for a combain harvester to operate for a reasonable time, and it ended up a 4 tone battery, with 14 hour charge. That's clearly not going to fly. Some racing cars might also still be ICE for good knows how long. Electric car racing is just not interesting to the viewer, and as such, that sport does not have a chance to stay alive. Having a V8 get passed you on a racetrack is still actractive. And I think it will stay.

Hi Fanous, once you get the machining done do you plan to glue up into a single slab top? I can see a future problem as there’s a horizontal top rail and ( I assume but can’t see) all 4 legs mortised into the top - that sets up a big cross-grain movement fight. If you’re heading to a split top design or can allow for movement some other way then all good.

Cheers,
Phil

Last edited:
Back