Anyone with a mill want to earn some beer tokens?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AESamuel

Established Member
Reaction score
Mods - I believe this type of thread is ok as I'm looking for a favour, not a professional contract, but please let me know if it's not appropriate.

Hi there!

I want to make a blade for a block plane that I own from o1 steel to go along with the iron it currently has.
I bought some o1 GFS in the correct thickness and my original plan was to use the iron without the adjustment mechanism as I have no way of accurately cutting the slots in the back of the blade. But I had the thought that maybe someone on here would, and would be kind enough to cut them for me in return for some "beer tokens" or similar ;)

I haven't done any heat treating of plane blades but I'm confident enough to try that myself. So all that needs doing to the blank is for the slots to be cut, and brought down from 40mm to 32mm width and I can do the rest of the shaping with my bench grinder. In the original blade they look like they were cut with a slitting saw but I suppose a small end mill might work too? I'd leave the method to the person doing it! I can either take measurements, or send the original blade for you to take precise measurements yourself.

Thanks for taking the time to read!

Here's a photo of what the slots look like:

quangsheng-102-iron_1.jpg

I'm off work until at least mid January (hospital stuff), but if you still haven't got a result by then, send me a message and I'll be happy to help.

If you get desperate, the thin cutting discs in an angle grinder can be used to make the grooves, an angle grinder stand helps.

A milling machine will be far easier and neater though! If I had one I’d offer

If you could try to get some measurements of the slot I can check if I've got a suitable cutter.

I'm off work until at least mid January (hospital stuff), but if you still haven't got a result by then, send me a message and I'll be happy to help.

Many thanks! I hope you keep well!

If you get desperate, the thin cutting discs in an angle grinder can be used to make the grooves, an angle grinder stand helps.

A milling machine will be far easier and neater though! If I had one I’d offer

Thanks for the advice, I had thought about this but the adjuster registers in two slots at once so the distance between slots is fairly critical.

If you could try to get some measurements of the slot I can check if I've got a suitable cutter.

Thankyou! The slots are 1.5mm wide, with a depth of 1.5mm, 17mm long, and a 1mm gap between each slot. The only critical parts are the width and distance between the slots. The length isn't that important, and so long as the depth is over 1mm and doesn't go all the way through so it doesn't foul the lever cap screw it would be fine.

FYI If I calculate that right, a 1.5mm max depth of cut leaving an arc 17mm long would need a circular cutter approx 50mm in diameter (close enough to 2" that it may be an imperial cutter, with a 1/16" thickness).

This HSS SLITTING SAW 50mm diameter 1.6mm width 13mm bore looks close enough.

I knew someone would work out what tool was used! Luckily the exact tooling used isn't that important. So long as the distance between slots and width is right then the other measurements aren't that critical. It's good to know the price of that slitting saw is well within my budget if need be!

Back