Anyone want to do a weight loss challenge?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to shed a couple of stone I've picked up from being housebound from the pandemic over the last two years. Needs to go.
My cholesterol is spot on, never had issue in that department, but a build up of fat isnt good, especially if sitting around watching tv, eating cheese.

So being a long term cyclist, and having the new fangled modern Ebike, I'm going to embark on a cycling regime thats going to get me out and hopefully putting in about 150 miles a week.
When i did cycle daily before I had a pretty high sugar diet, always nibbling at sweeties on the bike, but you burn it off due to the nature of always being in exercise mode.
Keeps the tummy flat too. Something I could do with these days :LOL:

Its not just the going from 35" waist to 38", it's the Sedentary lifestyle I really need to break. That has more of an affect on the body than my cheese fetish.

So this mornings 5km run was along the canal (520 calories measured). Very scenic but no undulations so can be a little monotonous on the legs. Mainly hills from now on and canal for the odd speed training. Lunchtime we both went for a 12km round walk to the next village, pint, ham cob and back. The walk will probably be around 800 calories. Something else that I noticed after several months of not exercising is my resting heart rate has now risen to 62 bpm instead of 50bpm. I'm hoping that will come down.
No way are you burning 520 calories on a 5k run, 350 -375 max. But sounds like a good run and walk. Yes my HR fluctuates with lack of exercise, 50ish if i'm mad for it 60 odd if stagnant for a month.

No way are you burning 520 calories on a 5k run, 350 -375 max. But sounds like a good run and walk. Yes my HR fluctuates with lack of exercise, 50ish if i'm mad for it 60 odd if stagnant for a month.
I know there are several ways calories can be calculated. I just chose one a minute ago on the Keisan site that gave me 470. My Garmin fenix watch and the Connect site gives me 516 which gives me a close approximation. To me it's not too important for it to be all that accurate and the difference of 100 calories is probably a small bag of crisps. I don't look at them to see what I might be able to get away with eating/drinking because I've burned them off either. Of course when I have lost all the extra kilos I've gained it will be less of an exertion to drag this mass along a tow path or up hills and I expect the calorie loss figure to change slightly over the same distance, speed and time. You're right about the run and walk. We're lucky to live somewhere we can run, walk and cycle in any direction and be in nice countryside surroundings. It is an added incentive.

I know there are several ways calories can be calculated. I just chose one a minute ago on the Keisan site that gave me 470. My Garmin fenix watch and the Connect site gives me 516 which gives me a close approximation. To me it's not too important for it to be all that accurate and the difference of 100 calories is probably a small bag of crisps. I don't look at them to see what I might be able to get away with eating/drinking because I've burned them off either. Of course when I have lost all the extra kilos I've gained it will be less of an exertion to drag this mass along a tow path or up hills and I expect the calorie loss figure to change slightly over the same distance, speed and time. You're right about the run and walk. We're lucky to live somewhere we can run, walk and cycle in any direction and be in nice countryside surroundings. It is an added incentive.

Cool, I'm pretty lucky as well, I find just 7lb in weight can reduce my times significantly. But I reckon a fast time only burns about 25calories more than a moderate run.

I am in the middle of a weight challenge right now. Am at the age of 57. So far I have gone from 33% body fat, to 26. My goal is 22%. I eat more steamed veg, keep portions low, and fish and chicken. I must say being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, does put another perspective in life. As my personal trainer says, it’s 90% diet. 10% exercise. Starting to love the kettle bells and TRX trainer. Take it slow, take it easy and record your workout progress along with your weight and body fat % readings, it’s good to reflect back on later. Swap beer for red wine too 🤩
I am in the middle of a weight challenge right now. Am at the age of 57. So far I have gone from 33% body fat, to 26. My goal is 22%. I eat more steamed veg, keep portions low, and fish and chicken. I must say being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, does put another perspective in life. As my personal trainer says, it’s 90% diet. 10% exercise. Starting to love the kettle bells and TRX trainer. Take it slow, take it easy and record your workout progress along with your weight and body fat % readings, it’s good to reflect back on later. Swap beer for red wine too 🤩
Hi how do I add on to the general conversation? I find that when I have a challenge with someone it is much easier to lose weight. I Do a variance on the 5/2 diet. That is 2 days of 600 calories so maybe only protein and veg no carbs and 5 days as you like. Because you are so careful on the 2 days the other days seem to reduce. I am 12 stone it seems that is clinically obese,I want to get back to 11 stone as a starter. A good way as a challenge is once a week you show your weights and see who can lose faster. I do lots of light exercise cycle rather than drive, in reasonable weather, play tennis pickleball croquet and starting to wood turn....does that count.
and I love cooking so the problem is it is always to delicious and i cook too much and eat to much. Happy to start another challenge

well, if you want to add on to the group, my pace is basically a kilo a week.

Am I getting the calculations right here? 12 stone calculates to 168 pounds (roughly).

I go by 100 calories a mile not sure where I got it from! So 310cal for 5k.....

Nope. Nor am I relying on quacks as references. Your advice is incorrect and borderline dangerous.

you cannot call peer reviewed published Medical and Scientific control studies and Meta-Analysis quackery ..... its the basis of everything we know about everything.;):)

if you have any specific issues with anything that I have said I invite you to tell me what it is and supply a link or links to the published Scientific or medical studies that supports your issue otherwise you are just spouting an uninformed personal opinion which certainly could be described as dangerous

Last edited:
Very interesting read thanks, a quick google after reading that suggests the average life span of an Inuit is 64-67 compared to 79 years of the general population of Canada. So whilst I’m sure there are other factors involved it clearly isn’t a diet if you are looking to live to a good age.
I guess we would have to factor in Geographical location , and work lifestyle factors too which would surely contribute.
The Inuit are now as unhealthy as the rest of the Western World since they were introduced to an unhealthy diet high in carbs during some extensive research done back in the early 1900's .I'll have to try and find the article it was very interesting as the Inuit were found to have almost zero Type 2 Diabetes and Cardio Vascular Disease risk due to the almost exclusive Fat and protein diet

I missed this bit. Might I suggest you google the phrase "fat burns in a carbohydrate flame" and look up the Krebs cycle?

You are posting factually incorrect and potentially dangerous advice relating to peoples' health.

lets settle this nonsense once and for all shall we

I stated quote ' There is no essential Carbohydrate !.....not one '

If you can post any proven and substantiated Scientific evidence to support your rude and inflamatory opinion I will add that link to my post to show a complete picture so that readers can form their own opinions based on facts .
..fair enough ? ;)
https://www.virtahealth.com/blog/why-dont-need-dietary-carbohydrateshttp://highsteaks.com/carbohydrates/https://know-facts.com/about-carbohydrates.html

Last edited:
Thanks, as an american, you never know here if "14 pounds" is exact or if it's just close. Now, i know.
They're both units of the same system, so a stone is defined as 14lb. Not like converting pounds to kilograms, for example, where one might use an approximation.
Maybe you don't use stone in America. We have 16 ounces to a pound, 14 pounds to a stone, 8 stone to a hundredweight.
Only us oldies, though. Young people use that foreign metric nonsense that uses powers of ten.

-1 pound last week - I was a good boy, but I guess good enough. My spreadsheet pace is looking for something more like 2 which might be too tall of an order (actually about 2.2) for relatively moderate changes.

Or it could just be one week and water. Time will tell.

Last edited:
They're both units of the same system, so a stone is defined as 14lb. Not like converting pounds to kilograms, for example, where one might use an approximation.
Maybe you don't use stone in America. We have 16 ounces to a pound, 14 pounds to a stone, 8 stone to a hundredweight.
Only us oldies, though. Young people use that foreign metric nonsense that uses powers of ten.

If you ever see an american use the word "stone" for weight on a TV show over there, it's because they've been told to. It's not used here at all. I've seen americans on the "fat shows" broadcast there using the word "stone" for their weight gain or loss - they probably don't know what the word means, but if they're getting paid, I'm sure they don't care.

I've always found it weird that the Americans use all the old English imperial weights and measures but stones. They only describe their weight in lbs and ounces have a smaller ton 200lbs as opposed to 2240lbs for British. Though on previous research I did find this tit-bit of info:

English units of measurement: Differences between American and British Systems

Many American units of weights and measures are based on units in use in Great Britain before 1824, when the British Imperial System was established. Since the Mendenhall Order of 1893, the U.S. yard and pound and all other units derived from them have been defined in terms of the metric units of length and mass, the meter and the kilogram; thus, there is no longer any direct relationship between American units and British units of the same name. In 1959 an international agreement was reached among English-speaking nations to use the same metric equivalents for the yard and pound for purposes of science and technology; these values are 1 yd=0.9144 meter (m) and 1 lb=0.45359237 kilogram (kg). In the United States, the older definition of the yard as 3,600/3,937 m is still used for surveying, the corresponding foot (1,200/3,937 m) being known as the survey foot.
The English units of measurement have many drawbacks: the complexity of converting from one unit to another, the differences between American and British units, the use of the same name for different units (e.g., ounce for both weight and liquid capacity, quart and pint for both liquid and dry capacity), and the existence of three different systems of weights (avoirdupois, troy, and apothecaries'). Because of these disadvantages and because of the wide use of the much simpler metric system in most other parts of the world, there have been proposals to do away with the U.S. Customary System and replace it with the metric system.

source:
https://www.infoplease.com/encyclop...ferences-between-american-and-british-systems

lets settle this nonsense once and for all shall we

Already done.

You've claimed that it's impossible to get every required nutrient in a vegetarian diet, which is obvious bunkum.
You've repeatedly cited Zoe Harcombe as a reference; she is a quack selling a fad diet, and has been proven to have lied about studying for a PhD.

https://www.badscience.net/2011/01/how-to-read-a-paper/
At this stage it's clear to everyone that your advice is not to be taken seriously, and I am happy to leave it at that. :)

Last edited:
nor is being overweight or obese ;)
But over 33% of meat eaters are over weight compared to under 10% of vegans so clearly carbohydrates aren’t the problem it’s the amount of food people put in their mouth.
I’d not heard of the keto diet until I read this thread, from what I’ve read it certainly isn’t a healthy long term diet with constipation a particular problem, this is no surprise as there is no fiber in meat or dairy.
I really don’t understand why carbohydrates get such a bad name, unrefined they can be a fantastic source of fiber who’s health benefits are well documented, increasing your fiber intake to 30g a day is possibly the best thing you can do to not only reducing a whole host of diseases but also increasing your life span.

Back