Anyone want to do a weight loss challenge?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it easy to lose weight as well, but doubt just because me and you find it easy others do as well. I think you are being naive in your thinking. Sort of kiddie thinking as there are many studies to show sugar has addictive qualities.

The sort of naive bit of Jacob's post is that it doesn't address the fact that many people don't want to lose weight more than they want to do whatever it is that prevents them from losing weight. The magic is in geting people to take ownership and do it no matter what. The doing isn't that hard. The wanting to do is the part. I want to do now, not because I care that much about losing weight, but because I don't want to have to do it later. I also want to get a few new suits and my cheap bone doesn't want to get them twice. My cheap bone also kind of likes the idea that it costs less to lose weight than it does to keep it the same.

You are telling yourself it's not easy for everybody. That's what they want you to think! :cool:
Yes food is often habit forming but generally a very long way from drug/alcohol addiction where withdrawal can even be lethal. Ditto food course if you went on a 100% diet!

It's also just as easy to increase work and decrease spending. There's a few people who eat because they have serious mental issues (not because they're eating victims, but because of some kind of biological issue or because of emotional turmoil from the past or present). Those are the small group that gives people the excuse that it's not as easy as just wanting to lose weight more than wanting to keep it.

A lot like your idea that someone else is to blame for economic problems at an individual level. That's true for about 10% of people with the problem. Maybe you should use this as an opportunity to let people know that entitlement and personal inaction with a bag of excuses about why it's someone else's fault is a poor way to go about securing your own finances.

Yes food is often habit forming but generally a very long way from drug/alcohol addiction where withdrawal can even be lethal.

Addiction expert as well, well done.
Your lack of empathy, over inflated sense of self importance, excessive attention seeking, enjoyment of others difficulties, is classic narcissistic behaviour.

Last edited:
Addiction expert as well, well done.
Your lack of empathy, over inflated sense of self importance, excessive attention seeking, enjoyment of others difficulties, is classic narcissistic behaviour.
Calory burning exercise is good too. Does that make me a narcissist? Do I have to be a qualified expert to say that?

There's a lot of human nature on display - when something isn't difficult for someone, they believe it's difficult for noone. When their wants aren't met and they can't find an easy way for them to be without self-sacrifice, then that's something very difficult.

I totally don't get why anyone would be an alcoholic (I like a sip of brandy before bed, but never anything any other time - don't like the feeling). But saying that isn't an honest assessment - I totally get why I like nothing more than a shot before bed - because I don't feel the same thing from alcohol that other people do.

I have money anxiety - so for me to say that it's senseless that someone wouldn't work harder to get out of debt and stay out of debt and get as far away from it as possible is just as disingenuous - the reason I am relatively comfortable is an outcome of various factors (one being that I was more comfortable working more and more when younger rather than staying idle and talking nonsense about life balance that might be right for someone else).

Reality is measured in outcomes. If someone can't stand back and say "this is the outcome at this point, let's figure out why if we're going to solve it", then that's super naive. If the answer to all of these things (drug addiction, addictive spening, laziness, crippling worry, overeating, etc) were something simple, it would be in play. Jacob has an extreme aversion to cutting off the narrative of economic victimhood and encouraging people to be more responsible and less entitled at a personal sense, but it would help the vast majority of people with stupid personal finance habits. I wonder if he'll be able to see the connection between that and people who overeat.

Calory burning exercise is good too. Does that make me a narcissist? Do I have to be a qualified expert to say that?

Exercise is for the brain, decrease in consumption is for the body.

to answer the above, no.

deflection is a great strategy. It's irrelevant to me whether you want to take heed of the info I've imparted. Another trait is to say it's other peoples fault (questioning their opinions), as you believe implicitly that your opinion is correct.
The post was really for other peoples benefit rather than yours, hopefully they might understand your neediness a little bit more, and why you do it.
It's an internet forum, you have no influence over me so it doesn't particularly bother me but thought it may be useful to you and others, again it's a forum, ignore or dismiss if you wish, as others can if they believe me wrong.

Last edited:
I used to smoke a lot and giving up was difficult - until I read the Alan Parker Carr book. Well not even the book just an article about it.
His message was basically just give it up 100%, now, or on a day of your choosing and bear with the discomfort as long as it lasts, which won't be that long.
It worked! Actually kept getting twinges for quite a long time - it felt like being in mourning for a lost one somehow, fading with time
Losing weight the same but a lot easier by far and only 50%! Perhaps some just need the nudge.

Last edited:
Do you mean Allen Carr, never heard of Alan Parker when it comes to stopping smoking.

I used to smoke a lot and giving up was difficult - until I read the Alan Parker book. Well not even the book just an article about it.
His message was basically just give it up 100%, now, or on a day of your choosing and bear with the discomfort as long as it lasts, which won't be that long.
It worked! Actually kept getting twinges for quite a long time - it felt like being in mourning for a lost one somehow, fading with time
Losing weight the same but a lot easier by far and only 50%! Perhaps some just need the nudge.

There are probably some people who like the feel of certain foods more than you liked the feel of cigarettes.

I smoked in college and high school while working at restaurants. It did nothing for me at all other than give me something to do in a situation of pure boredom. All the old ladies working at the restaurant encouraged kids to smoke, too "you need a cigarette?". They assumed that anyone sitting on break without smoking was just short on money or something.

Do you mean Allen Carr, never heard of Alan Parker when it comes to stopping smoking.
Yes that's the chap! Not the comedian - got confused.
One thing about the Alan Carr short sharp shock is that you do feel the benefit (as well as the loss) quite quickly, rather than waiting patiently for things to improve over time, and lapsing in between. You can feel it working from day one , or day 3 at the latest!

Last edited:
6. Think about smoking
Don’t try to “not to think” about smoking – it doesn’t work

From the carr list - this is kind of the thing for any behavior change. You can't think "I won't ___". That will work for some minority, but that's literally a positive (negative statement, but a positive action). I'm going to sit around and think about not smoking, or not eating or whatever. You're not thinking about what you will do and thinking about whatever it is without doing it is what you've committed to - it's literally on your mind constantly.

An acquaintance of mine spends most of his money online on music equipment. His house is filling. I absolutely cannot convince him that he has no clue what he's doing because he's committed to buying less. He's got more than 100 guitars and his plan is to not buy more (which he fails at) and any time I suggest he start with a plan that's more like "I will sell two for every one that I buy indefinitely" he has tons of excuses, and then a day later "I am a slave to the guitars and overwhelmed if I get any out to decide what to sell".

No, you're a slave to yourself and your lack of desire to do anything about it. How many cases do you have to open to list one guitar? one.

How did I meet this guy? I sold him a pair of guitars not knowing that he was a straight up addict and when he found out I was a woodworker, it's like a separate avenue for him to get advice about what's in the guitars. Now I always respond "no, you need to sell one made of that wood rather than buy one".

It wouldn't be annoying if people who act like that complain about their inaction to others.

6. Think about smoking
Don’t try to “not to think” about smoking – it doesn’t work

From the carr list - this is kind of the thing for any behavior change. You can't think "I won't ___". That will work for some minority, but that's literally a positive (negative statement, but a positive action). I'm going to sit around and think about not smoking, or not eating or whatever. You're not thinking about what you will do and thinking about whatever it is without doing it is what you've committed to - it's literally on your mind constantly.

An acquaintance of mine spends most of his money online on music equipment. His house is filling. I absolutely cannot convince him that he has no clue what he's doing because he's committed to buying less. He's got more than 100 guitars and his plan is to not buy more (which he fails at) and any time I suggest he start with a plan that's more like "I will sell two for every one that I buy indefinitely" he has tons of excuses, and then a day later "I am a slave to the guitars and overwhelmed if I get any out to decide what to sell".

No, you're a slave to yourself and your lack of desire to do anything about it. How many cases do you have to open to list one guitar? one.

How did I meet this guy? I sold him a pair of guitars not knowing that he was a straight up addict and when he found out I was a woodworker, it's like a separate avenue for him to get advice about what's in the guitars. Now I always respond "no, you need to sell one made of that wood rather than buy one".

It wouldn't be annoying if people who act like that complain about their inaction to others.
Just ask him how many guitars (substitute planes, bikes, saws etc) can he play at once?!!!

Just ask him how many guitars (substitute planes, bikes, saws etc) can he play at once?!!!

let's shorten that long diatribe!!..

he did say about a week ago "I have a new plan, I'm going to play my guitars and then I won't buy more". OK. that'll work for the time you're playing a couple.

He sent me a message yesterday that he bought something (parts that he doesn't need or a neck or something), so that whole idea didn't last for long.

I may try a new way thing with him - every time he asks about advice for a part (especially in regard to if it's worth having part #20 of the same type in another wood), I'm going to say "yeah, maybe two! You need them!!". Eventually, he'll realize that I just tell him to buy everything because telling him he probably doesn't need something from my point of view doesn't work.

Last edited:
charge him a guitar each time you give him advice. He'll either stop buying or at least stop asking :p

Third 5K run this morning. Had two pints in my local with a friend celebrating his driving test pass last night. No other beer for six days. I'm down just over two kilos in a week but that will slow down to something more sensible over the next week or so.

exercise is a very inefficient way of losing weight...... . This has been proven beyond any doubt countless times by extensive Scientific and medical studies and tests . Meta analysis , peer reviewed and published extensively around the World in leading Medical Journals and yet still this silly ignorant myth persists because folk refuse to do some basic online research and inform themselves.!.

Sorry if this seems harsh but I believe it is important that we all do what we can to prevent the spread of misinformation and potentially harmful advice wherever we find it. The majority of Nutritionists and Doctors still believe that Fat and protein can cause Coronary Heart Disease and strokes ! ..its difficult for them to admit that they have been giving out the wrong advice for the past 40 years. Advice that has doubtless caused many premature deaths due to strokes , CHD and T2 Diabetes over the past 4x decades.

If we want to lose weight ...eating less food and being continually hungry is definitely not the right way to go.....The weight simply goes straight back on the moment we start to eat normally again .

The key to losing weight and being healthy is to eat the RIGHT food and ensure that whether we are a veggie or meat eater that we consume the right amount of essential minerals and Vitamins for optimum health.

Here is a little known fact that most are unaware of......There is no essential Carbohydrate !.....not one ...if we never eat another carbohydrate we will be healthy and fine provided we consume sufficient Fat and Protein and essential minerals and Vitamins

Here is another fact ...every cell in our body uses Glucose for energy .....BUT ....if we eat no sugar or Carbohydrate whatsoever ,our bodies are designed to break down Fat and Protein to make the Glucose we need to survive . Amazing eh ?!.. the process is called Autophagy its the basis of various diets like Atkins , Keto, Low Carb etc

Our bodies treat fat protein and carbohydrate differently If we eat lots of carbs and sugars, our bodies will store the excess glucose as fat and we pile on weight
If we eat less carbs and eat more Fat & protein instead ,our bodies will burn the fat stores, converting it to glucose for energy and we will lose weight . We have around 10x pints of blood in our bodies and in all that blood our bodies maintain just one half of a tea spoonful of sugar . Any more than that and our bodies extract it and store it around our bodies in the Liver ,muscles and as fat around our organs. When this metabolic mechanism breaks down we become carbohydrate intolerant, hyperinsulinemic & Type 2 Diabetic.

Another very successful way of losing weight and maintaining it as a continuing lifestyle is to fast for one day every week . Just eat something light that day like an omelette Alternatively fast in the mornings . I eat no breakfast and if I am occupied I frequently don't feel the need to eat until 2-3pm in the afternoon . We frequently eat not because we are necessarily hungry but because we are conditioned to think we should eat because its breakfast time or lunch time or dinner time etc . The moment I eat something i then want to snack continuously .

Talking of snacking a healthy way to snack is to eat cheese , eggs, meat and fish. These foods contain fat so they fill you up and keep you feeling full for longer. I keep boiled eggs, hard cheese , cream , burgers, l and sausages in the fridge at all times and If I feel peckish I'll eat half a sausage or half a boiled egg or a slice of cheese or some sardines or mackerel. I make my own healthy burgers , Half a sausage or a quarter of a burger zapped in the microwave is a great healthy tasty snack to keep you going for a few hours . When I do eat lunch i'll maybe have a fried egg bacon and mushrooms or a burger with cheese and spinach or a tin of sardines (in brine) with some field mushrooms . I lost 30 lbs in 5 weeks on this diet but importantly did not feel hungry .

If anyone is interested in any of this I've added a link which will explain it much better than I can in just a few sentences.

Last edited:

If we want to lose weight ...eating less food and being continually hungry is definitely not the right way to go.....The weight simply goes straight back on the moment we start to eat normally again ....
You've missed the point - it was eating "normally" which caused the excess weight - you have to work up a new "normal" and take control.
"eating less food and being continually hungry is definitely not the right way to go" ? But if you eat less food your appetite diminishes; you get used to a different regime.
"exercise is a very inefficient way of losing weight" true, but it can be really helpful in terms of making you fitter and feel healthier, along with more direct weight reducing measures. All part of taking control.

Keep it simple, eat less food and get used to it!
After bit you don't even think about your new normal until when you get offered a huge supposedly "normal" sized portion of something and feel it's too much - you know then that you are winning!
PS A good example of the new normal for me and her indoors was discovering that when we treat ourselves to a takeaway fish and chips one normal helping does for both of us, and neatly fills two plates! Half the price and you don't feel hungry afterwards either.

Last edited:
If anyone is interested in any of this I've added a link which will explain it much better than I can in just a few sentences.

Zoe Harcombe is (again) not a valid authority. Her primary concern is shilling her own fad diet ,which has been roundly criticised by the scientific community, and she has been proven to have lied about studying for a PhD. She is not an authority on nutrition and her advice should be regarded as suspect at best. See the links I posted earlier - reposted here for everyone's convenience.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Zoë_Harcombe
https://www.badscience.net/2011/01/how-to-read-a-paper/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back