Anyone want to do a weight loss challenge?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I became veggie because - quite suddenly - it seemed really odd for me to be eating bits of animals. Initially I carried on eating fish, but that was a couple of months. I was ovo-lacto veggie for about 10 years, then had occasional fish again (eating fish stopped seeming weird), then eating meat didn't seem weird any more. I don't eat huge amounts of meat, and still have probably as many veggie meals as not.

Quinine is best for foot and leg cramps, best taken in Tonic with Gin 😇 and of course the essential Lemon, does that count as a vegetable it grows on trees. 🤣

for anyone interested in Nutrition here is Zoe Harcombe's full submission to The National Food Strategy for England ....a Government led initiative to to devise a National Food Strategy for England . Zoe Harcombe is a PhD and one of the Countrys leading nutritionists
It includes a complete chart of the 3x macronutrients and all essential vitamins and minerals and the best sources for those nutrients . National Food Strategy – call for evidence – Zoë Harcombe

And for anyone interested in exploring a little deeper, here's the Rational Wiki page on her, her fad diet book, her discredited research, and her funding.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Zoë_Harcombe
She also got a mention in Bad Science

https://www.badscience.net/2011/01/how-to-read-a-paper/
She is very, very far from being "one of the Countrys leading nutritionists" and her advice is bunkum.

-4 lbs after week 1 (first week always cuts more weight than one would expect just from backing off consumption and dropping carb water)

-4 lbs after week 1 (first week always cuts more weight than one would expect just from backing off consumption and dropping carb water)
Whatever you did this week. Can you sustain it?

Should be able to. If I charted out the junk that I ate this week, it's about double the earlier list (including dinner with friends Saturday night, and dessert).

But overall, much of the rest of the food was carbs and sugar (in dry form) replaced by fruit, vegetables, cheese and meat.

That should be doable as long as food boredom doesn't set in (which results in too little eating which isn't sustainable).

Shedding weight is very straight forward. Eat less and move more.

Unfortunately most of us are not fit enough to burn sufficient calories to lose any appreciable amount of fat... as anyone with an exercise bike will testify. To offset just one Mars Bar will take a couple of hours of sustained exercise.

Much more effective is stopping eating. Moseley's 5 and 2 plan works well. Hunger pangs can feel uncomfortable at first but it's not a bad experience.

week 2 - just one pound further down - so total 5 in weeks 1 and 2. IME, week two is always flattish - week 1, or really the first two or three days if you cut back food, you get a big water loss (as in, the first four pounds, half real, half water) and then things bounce back so if you hold or lose a little in week 2, things are generally good.

Shedding weight is very straight forward. Eat less and move more.

Unfortunately most of us are not fit enough to burn sufficient calories to lose any appreciable amount of fat... as anyone with an exercise bike will testify. To offset just one Mars Bar will take a couple of hours of sustained exercise.

Much more effective is stopping eating. Moseley's 5 and 2 plan works well. Hunger pangs can feel uncomfortable at first but it's not a bad experience.
I do both, if I'm in all evening I'll eat, but if I run/cycle for 2 hours I'm not eating - 6 points!!

Did my first run this frosty morning. 5K at a steady pace. I'll do this for a couple of weeks until I'm back into it before increasing it by two or three kilometres per week. I probably won't go the long distances any more. If I can run the occasional 15K and enter one or two half marathon races a year I'll be happy. I don't have a food problem. We've always eaten sensibly. My problem since retiring six years ago has been an increase in beer intake and a decrease in exercise. So, I need to flip that around. My weight loss goal is 14 kilos so a lot of work ahead.

Gary

Mmmmm...where I live the general population are lard-buttocks to be frank. I needed some attention to my leg and the nurse offered me a tubular bandage automatically. It immediately fell to the floor. "Sorry" she said .."I forgot. You need the normal size"

You are what you eat. And how much.

-1.5 last week (1.5 lost- lbs, not kilos)

Definitely room to be more compliant, which isn't a complaint - it's a comfortable margin. My long term trend line to July is supposed to be 0.4 pounds less than where I am. Not going to try to stray from it too much as too much or too little success wouldn't be good in the longer term.

I have a feeling (from past experience) that once I get closer to about 15 pounds loss, then the margin for compliance will be less.

Losing weight is dead easy. Basically the ELF regime. ELF stands for eat less food. 50% is an easy target.
Eat your normal diet but half the quantities except drink more water.
Has some nice perks, instead of 1lb cheap steak you have 1/2lb expensive much nicer steak for same price, and so on.
Everybody knows what they are supposed to cut down on - add total ban on sugar itself and sugary treats only very rarely and you're off!
Takes just a few days to get into the habit and it becomes normal.
If you fancy fish n chips have small portion and either share it with somebody or throw half away, ditto pub meals.
What makes it easy is that it's easy to remember and quite enjoyable, especially if you substitute quality for quantity.

Last edited:
That's all I'm doing - eating less.
'
what was fun in the past was going bonkers and dropping 15 or 20 pounds at a half pound a day rate, but that doesn't leave anything for the long term (following the atkins diet and actually keeping the foods on it healthy is a good way to do that - it's too limiting). It's not practical without a follow-out (after the diet is over) plan to eat, though. It's more or less shock entertainment.

Eating less and not doing much else is kind of boring, but it's easier. I already drink a boatload (but never anything with calories in drink) - upping the vegetable intake is enough to put me off eating more, but it can be so much that I skip eating then, which is a poor long term plan. Weighing in to a trend line (and hopefully eventually a target weight) each day and just staying on the line will be easier.

Losing weight is dead easy. Basically the ELF regime. ELF stands for eat less food. 50% is an easy target.
Eat your normal diet but half the quantities except drink more water.
Has some nice perks, instead of 1lb cheap steak you have 1/2lb expensive much nicer steak for same price, and so on.
Everybody knows what they are supposed to cut down on - add total ban on sugar itself and sugary treats only very rarely and you're off!
Takes just a few days to get into the habit and it becomes normal.
If you fancy fish n chips have small portion and either share it with somebody or throw half away, ditto pub meals.
What makes it easy is that it's easy to remember and quite enjoyable, especially if you substitute quality for quantity.

Jacob you never cease to amaze me at what you are an expert in, duly noted that you are a dietician as well.
Maybe the gov't could implement this policy, for example all the poor people could be told to only spend half of what they currently spend, drug addicts, only inject half the amount, tax evaders only evade half of what you currently evade, amazing no one has though of this before.

Jacob you never cease to amaze me at what you are an expert in, duly noted that you are a dietician as well.
Maybe the gov't could implement this policy, for example all the poor people could be told to only spend half of what they currently spend, drug addicts, only inject half the amount, tax evaders only evade half of what you currently evade, amazing no one has though of this before.
You don't need to be an expert to lose weight. Look at all those slim Africans in Somalia and other places!
But our weight watchers want to lose weight, food isn't addictive, weight loss saves money and isn't even unpleasant once you've got the habit.
It's easy but there's a huge industry devoted to telling people it's difficult - a bit like woodwork come to think!

You don't need to be an expert to lose weight. Look at all those slim Africans in Somalia and other places!
But our weight watchers want to lose weight, food isn't addictive, weight loss saves money and isn't even unpleasant once you've got the habit.
It's easy but there's a huge industry devoted to telling people it's difficult - a bit like woodwork come to think!
I find it easy to lose weight as well, but doubt just because me and you find it easy others do as well. I think you are being naive in your thinking. Sort of kiddie thinking as there are many studies to show sugar has addictive qualities.

This works well for people who are poor, too. They need to take more responsibility, work more and at a job that's more valuable (Which may involve a little bit of self sacrifice for self benefit) and pay off their debt instead of spending money on anything expensive.

I find that part pretty easy, at least to this point. Almost fully funded for retirement at 45 and no debt of any kind for 10 years.

What was the secret? I wanted no debt and to be in a good position to not work too long - I got there by working an enormous amount my first 12-14 years out of college.

See how that works?

I find it easy to lose weight as well, but doubt just because me and you find it easy others do as well. I think you are being naive in your thinking. Sort of kiddie thinking as there are many studies to show sugar has addictive qualities.
You are telling yourself it's not easy for everybody. That's what they want you to think! :cool: Both the industry selling the books and remedies, and the fat people looking for excuses to carry on with the hob nobs!
The ELF diet is free of charge BTW but contributions gratefully accepted!
Yes food is often habit forming but generally a very long way from drug/alcohol addiction where withdrawal can even be lethal. Ditto food course if you went on a 100% diet - not recommended, but the occasional day on it wouldn't do most people any harm

Last edited:
Back