Anyone visited Lie Nielsen works

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidc1075

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been to the Lie Neilsen works in Maine, I am planning a trip to America and maybe a visit to Lie Neilsen. I was wondering if you can visit the works rather than just the shop. Any advice would be appreciated.

I was there a couple of years ago. At the time they were building a new manufacturing building and the primary manufacturing was being done in the same building as the store. It didn't appear that you could go into the manufacturing part of the building but I didn't ask, either. You could see the assembly room but there wasn't anything going on at the time I was there.

I have been there, though it was a quiet day at the mill and
I arrived there when the staff were going through their morning
exercises / stretches. :shock:
I was allowed apeek in the machine shop and in the assembly room.
It was like being a 12 yr old in a sweet shop :lol: allowed to handle and try out some of the tools, and was introduced to a few of the staff members.
All in all a very enjoyable pause in a 3000 km drive holiday. :)

Ah, we're planning a driving holiday in september around Maine, Boston down through Baltimore and ending up in Washington. The route might well incorporate the LN site - Mrs H will be pleased!!!

I called in there early December, I had prior booked and Tom suggested a quiet day in the week for me to visit, I was allowed to see everything and wander from section to section pretty much as I wanted, and alone, everyone spoke to me and were very very pleasant. I bought a few goodies from them so that helped but that did not seem to be a pre-requisite for the visit.

All in all a very enjoyable 2 hour trip, I even wandered down to his other place where they were making the workbenches - boy are they hefty , and very impressively made. Interesting comment - I do not like tool trays in work benches (just filled mine in with large piece of beech) Tom told me from his sales I was in the majority - which surprised him and his makers as well as me.

I even saw a glimpse of a prototype panel saw they are considering - he is a real gem - is he not.

Thanks for all the replies and the link for the B&B looks great and will book a stay there. I know this is off forum but has anyone who has been in this area got any ideas of where else to visit. I have got to go Boston for work and thought about taking a holiday since I would be over. This may take alot of you by surprise but it was my wife that suggested doing something different. She suggested going to see Norm's workshop but I don't think they do tours so she suggested having a look around Lie Nielsen, am I lucky or what.

In Boston, aka "Bean Town", The Museum of Fine Arts has a nice collection of early American furniture.

The North Bennett St. School in Boston, They date back to the 1800's, They have a superb reputation for teaching "traditional wood working trades" especially furniture making.

If you make a contact you may be able to get a shop tour at "Old Ironsides" The USS Constitution.

The Peabody Essex Museum, in Salem, Massachusetts has had several very high quality collections. One was a collection of Seymour and most recently a collection from china. You can find information about both with links at Fine Woodworking magazine, and www.pem.org

Renown American wood conservator, author, teacher, Phil Lowe, owner of The Furniture Institute in Beverly, Mass Just across the bridge form Salem, 4-5 miles.

If you need any additional assistance just drop a note.

Ron

Latest posts

Back