anyone using an 8 mm router?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good quality mid sized router.
I've been struggling with a performance plus machine for over a year and I've decided life is too short to carry on with it.
I have a big makita in a table, and I have a couple of 1/4" hand held's for edge trimming etc.

But every once in a wile I need to rout some hardwood that is just too long to safely put on the table and so has to be plunge routed, and due to arthritis I dont want a monster 1/2" to have to lift and shove around.

Not looking for festool prices, but will pay for something that works as advertised.

I use a Festool 1010 bought off ebay for a reasonable price - light enough and has got a bit of power. Believe either the Makita or De Walt 1/4"units can be fitted with an 8mm collet.

I have a Makita 3620.

Makita 3620.jpg

Mine is at least 20 years old, but I think they're still made. I couldn't afford anything bigger at the time. I have collets for 3/8", 8mm and 1/4" router bits, and use all three sizes (it won't take 1/2" bits).

It's just a basic model - no frills. But it's quite a bit lighter than their bigger 3612 (a mate has one of them).

Double check before you invest in one as I'm not sure if later models will take the bigger bits - I've seen them advertised here since, as 1/4" routers.

HTH.

Cheers, Vann.

Attachments

• Makita 3620.jpg
    Makita 3620.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 336
Can you not just get an 8mm collet to fit one of your existing 1/4 inchers? I have both a 1/4" and an 8mm collet for my dewalt DWP611

Cheers, W2S

Yes, 8 mm collets are easily available for 1/4" routers. I just got one for my 25 yr old, obsolete Elu.

I got them on eBay from AIMtools.

Keith

After my original post I started surfing, and came up with the idea of a plunge base for one of the small makitas (nobody calls ME slow and gets away with it)
:roll: :roll:
I had a quick look at ebay but cant find anything to fit a makita 3700B. If anyone knows of a fit then that would be greatly appreciated.
I found another 3700B for 99 pence because the switch was busted (8 euros here, 27 quid on ebay uk) but he wanted 8 quid postage.
Shipping on small items is not a problem, People are always travelling from UK to here .

I had not thought about being able to fit an 8 mm bit into a 1/4" (6 mm) router. I expect I need to have some of what Chris is using medicinally to make that work? =D> =D> :shock: 8)

sunnybob":3awlekto said:
I expect I need to have some of what Chris is using medicinally to make that work? =D> =D> :shock: 8)
How rude. we have all been very well lately.

I'm glad to hear you are all well.
Hows the other members of the family?
=D> =D> =D> 8) 8)

Back