Anyone using a Photo Printer?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cutting Crew

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I was working at an exhibition over the weekend and a visitor came along and somehow the conversation switched to photography and printing your own photographs.

I'm OK with the digital cameras but always trot of to Jessops with my little camera card in hand to get the photos I want printed. I always use the one hour service which costs me extra and, more often than not the photos are never ready so I have to return later.

The visitor told me about photo printer he uses which got my attention. Are the printers any good, what's the quality like, what about the ink cartidges, anyone any advice or experiences they'd like to pass on?

Regards....Mike

Hi Mike
I've used photo printers since they've been around really. Current one is the Epson Stylus Photo R800. The quality of print is remarkable.
My last 3 photo printers have been Epson. I'd recommend them.
As with anything, go for the best you can afford, and use the same make of paper/media as the printer - this makes quite a difference.

Mike
I too have had several Epson printers over the years and can thoroughly recommend them. Mine is old now (Stylus 740) but still going strong, although it has to be said I do very little printing indeed. It will do proper photo output - if you have all day.
Some friends of mine have just bought a new Epson and were waxing enthusiastic about it just this weekend. They said they couldn't tell the difference between its output and "proper" photos. And it must be easy to use, neither of them are techies.

Go for it!
Cheers
Steve

Hi Mike

I agree with what Aragorn says but with a couple of provisos....costs of ink and paper are very, very expensive. IMHO it depends how much you are going to use it. For my part, if I do need anything, I just pop into the local Boots who have a Kodak magic machine and it prints out my photos. Costs seem reasonable as well.

I do also have a photoquality printer but use it so infrequently that often the ink cartridges have dried up....I'm fortunate that my business can sustain the cost of both colour and black and white laser printers and I use these as the workhorses.

Roger

Mike
I've been using photo printers for a long time too - together with a digital camera. Since the Epson Photo 870 (4 or 5 years ago) - photo printing has been pretty much on par with lab results. In fact I get better results (colours). My Epson died a year or so ago and I replaced it with a Epson Photo 830 - similiar print engine but a fraction of the cost. Quality is still very good.
But beware - the Epson's are slow at high quality. The Canon nowadays are comparable quality but a lot quicker.
The last year or two I've now switched to online printing (through http://www.photobox.co.uk) when I have lots of prints to do. Their service is excellent - you just upload your prints and get them back the next day. But I still print my own when I don't have many to do.
Cheers
Gidon

I can't help with prohoto printers but I have been using these people for over a year now to get my digital images printed http://www.digi-prints.com/. Only 12p + pp per picture (6x4) and a 2-3 day turnaround.

You will need broadband though - or do it from work :oops:

Andy

I've avoided using "photo printers" due to the "faff factor". Keeping swopping from "normal" to "photo" paper, and the time it takes whizzing away at some super high resolution - I find you have to sit there looking after it. By the time you factor in an emergency run to PC world when the cartridge has run out and you have to stop on the way to remortgage your house just to afford a new cartridge means I always use an "on-line" service. "Which?" did a good review recently, and reckoned often as not it was more expensive to do them yourself.

Also I like the "longevity" of real photo processing, although the UV resistance of inkjet "inks" has much improved I'm told.

Adam

It's my view that the photo printers are too expensive to run and use online printers.

I have always got a good service from Bonus Print Online

I use an Epson 895 printer for A4 size prints but I have just bought a stand alone Epson Picturemate which only prints 6x4 size and it give excellent results.

The recomended price for these is £149 but can be picked up for £112 on the net and a packet of paper and ink can be got for £18. (100 sheets)

Therefore costing you 18p a print and you only print the ones you want, good luck.

Mark (Yes I am Jasonb's Dad) if he can not help I will.

Welcome JasonB's Dad! Nice to keep it in the family.
Getting quite cosy around here actually. I think we've got one or two other father/son members IIRC

Enjoy the forum

I go with the others recemending epson printers, 'I used to have an epson 750 good results but slow. That died and I now have an epson photo r300 and it's excellent with good results even on plain paper for tryouts.

drew

I have to agree with drew in saying that the new epson photo r300 in an excelent printer and fast as well. Its output is of the highest quality and the refils are cheap if you now where to go from them. I have attached a link to where the cartridges are just over £1 each,
http://www.ukdvdr.co.uk/ I hope this of use to you all.

Rosco ( Chris ).

Drew":af3cobyg said:
I go with the others recemending epson printers, 'I used to have an epson 750 good results but slow. That died and I now have an epson photo r300 and it's excellent with good results even on plain paper for tryouts.

drew

Hi Mark, I have an Epson R300, use only compatable ink cartridges, and find the quality excellent. I download into my computor rather than use the stand alone feature, I can then enhance , crop ,get rid of the dustbin and tellywag poles that always seem to get in the way. If you want to see hands on pics. send me a PM with your address and I will send you some prints to compars the quality. Cheers Alan
PS thanks Rosco for the site for compatables, will try. Alan

Hello all,

Thanks for the help, it never ceases to amaze me what a mine of information the readers of the forum have. Could it be that people who work with wood are more intelligent?

Looks like it's going to be an Epson then, I'm now off to scour the internet for the best prices.

Regards....Mike

just to throw my 2 pence worth in, I have used a lexmak photo printer for years now (the one endorsed by kodak) and have had no problems.

As people have already stated the cost is an issue, but if one wants pictures instantly (up to A4 in size) then its the way to go.

although illegal I also know somebody (splutter splutter) who has copied portrait photos using his scanner and photo printer, the results being that in a blind test they are undistinguishable. :D beats paying the re-print price ...........

i also see that colour laser printers are coming down in price now, after paying £50 for a 600dpi black and white one last year I might consider buying a colour one.
IMO why mess about with ink jets (black and white) when a laser never dries out 8)

anyhow... i digress......

steve

Back