Anyone used the RP2000 Chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Random Orbital Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for the smallest diameter chuck I can get for turning a variety of small projects. I've had a good canter round the market and keep coming back to the Record Power RP2000 because it's only 62mm in diameter. It's also under £70 so isn't a bank breaker either.

Trouble is I just cant help feeling it's a bit of a "toy" so would appreciate any direct feedback from any owners. There doesn't appear to be any significant user base as nothing pops up on YT and RP are normally everywhere with their marketing. My primary concern is concentricity so......anyone out there used one and if so what's your experience?

Many thanks

I havent used one but i made an adapter for someone who sent me the chuck to make sure it fitted
it looked a well made item and certainly was concentric
its very small though next to a patriot chuck or something similar
Ian

I've not used one but really like my small O'Donnell jaws (not big ones with small inserts) for small projects.

S

i have one on my jet 1014.

Nothing to compare it to though. I have turned a few peppermills, and various small things on it. seemed ok. I have tried a bowl or two, but the swing over the toolrest on my lathe limits the size i can turn.

Nice little chuck and I havent noticed anything with concentricity.

Thanks chaps, all very helpful. Much appreciated. Bottom line it sounds well made. I have no intention of using it for any form of bowls as I have all the bigger stuff covered with other chucks. This is strictly for teensy stuff like apple stems, finials etc and even then, with pin jaws. What I was finding was even with pin jaws in my larger chucks, my knuckles were getting perilously close to fast moving metal.

Based on this thread, I'll probably buy one but just need to choose between the RP2000 (which is not directly threaded M33) and either the G3 or Record Powers new SC3. Both of those have a direct threaded version which is very appealing. But, they're a fair bit larger in diameter for that reason. Whats appealing about the 2000 is that at 62mm it really is very diminutive.

what about a collet chuck? for apple stems, I think that would be my preference- not that I have turned any. depends whether you are starting with round or square stock, I guess.

Agree with marcros. You can't beat a collet chuck for compactness and concentricity. Axminster do a Junior chuck for about £45 with 3 collets. I bought a milling kit from amazon for £28. Chuck with 13 collets (13-1mm). Converted it with an old faceplate to suit my lathe. Quality is excellent and delivered in 2 weeks. Amazing!

Attachments

• DSC03595.750.jpg
    DSC03595.750.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 1,373
Done that, don't like the way it has a tendency to wobble out of the taper while in use and they tend to have a fair bit of runout because they're not as well machined as dedicated turning chucks. I end up positioning the toolrest so it blocks the outward travel as a safety precaution which is awkward. So at a push they can be used but I really want a better quality more permanent solution.

I've bought the Axy one after this mornings input. That SCT one looks good Derek and it has 5 different collet sizes as part of the package for the same price rather than the 3 with the Axy one. However, 2 things which suit me personally: I had a £50 Axy voucher from a birthday and I did want one that's directly threaded M33 and the one you linked is 3/4" 16 tpi. So although I'm 2 collets light on the one from Axy at more or less the same price, it actually cost me nothing and it directly fits my lathe with no need for an adaptor.

But it does look good having that wider range of sizes and it goes up to 3/4" too whereas the Axy one's largest size is 13mm. Hey ho......money spent now :)

Back