anyone used the dw733?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean_in_limerick

Established Member
Reaction score
HI guys, has anybody tried the dw733 thicknesser as i am considereing buying one? Is it worth the extra cash over the other brands?

Cheers, sean

HI Sean
Welcome to the forum!
I have had one for a few years-a fantastic bit of kit! You certainly won't be disappointed.
Cheers
Philly :D

thanks Philly, was it easy to setup - or was it one of those 'it worked straight out of the box' types? Also i have heard rumours that it needs to be fixed to something solid as it vibrated a lot and this effects the finish? Also how good are the blades?

Sean
Worked straight out of the box. Initially tried playing around with the in/out feed table heights but it seems to make no difference to the end result.
I am still on my first set of blades (and boy are they in a mess!!) :lol:
I just move one over a couple of mm when I chip them and go on for a nother few months.
When sharp they leave a fantastic, smooth finish.
Cheers

yup same as philly had mine 12 months it sits on the bench and it does not move ,you can put some clamps to hold it to the bench but i dont bother then again i am not planning lots of cube feet of timber like philly :D ,i got mine from m/mart the nice man left the vat off 8) .

frank

Hi,

I also have a DW733 and can honestly say that I have never had a single board yet that shows any sign of snipe. The one minus point though, go's to the cutterhead lock which is a tad stiff to engage but it is only a minor thing and I would recommend one without doubt.

cheers,
jon.

On the other hand, I am not that happy with mine.
Snipe from the word go, and no amount of twiddling and tweaking gets rid of it :x
I'm resigned to it now and always cut everything 140mm too long so I can cut off the snipe afterwards.

On the plus side, feed rate is reasonable so you don't go too mad whilst waiting for timber to pass through, and blade change and setup is just great!

Buy one again?? I'd have a serious look at the Delta first.

thanks Aragorn, do you have to add nearly 6 inches to the length of everything you thickness just to avoid snipe - how bad is the snipe? Is it unusable? Do you think it might be a setup problem? Sourcing a delta would be a problem for me as i live in ireland.

Howdy Aragorn!
Wow-sounds like problemsville...How bad is the snipe? Does it happen even with a light pass? :?
I really have had no problems with mine,

The snipe I get is significant enough for me not to ignore it!
Basically I add 6" and cut off each end, as the sniped bit is unusable.

I think it is a setup problem, and when I wrote about this before on this forum when it was new, I got lots of good replies, but I can't eliminate it.

It's just easier for me to plane boards long, add a few inches on, and then chop them up. Saves playing around for ages with a setup that doesn't help much anyway.

It happens with even a light pass, though mostly on the trailing end in this case.

I am the only person I've heard of to have this problem with it, so probably best to ignore it, Sean! With DW, you get 30 days to return any item if you're not happy, IIRC.

Hi Aragorn,

Does your DW733 have the shiny metal bed under the cutter area? If so, try removing it and readjusting your outfeed table to actually be a little high at the end.

You'll need to wax the aluminum bed that is under the cutter area.

I needed to do both on mine. Just removing the metal bed helped a lot, but didn't eliminate it. Raising the outfeed a smidge did the rest. If you are using outfeed rollers you need to adjust them accordingly.

sean_in_limerick":32vzjy9z said:
Sourcing a delta would be a problem for me as i live in ireland.
Hi Sean,

Joe McKenna in Limerick have the Delta (€500 inc. VAT when I asked in April)

Just to muddy the waters even more, have a look at the Makita 2012NB too - you are welcome to try mine if you are ever in East Galway.

Cheers,
Neil

Hi Neil, i was talking to them last week, they only have a cheap asian import (name escapes me) - do you have the delta model?

Hi Sean,

The model number they gave me is deltp400lsce - they said it was the replacement for the 22565. In the same email they also gave prices of €335 for the Fox 22561 and €399 for the Charnwood w570.

Cheers,
Neil

Hi Aragorn,

If you have had the 733 for less than 12 months then your'e entitled to a free dewalt service if you take it to a reconised dealership, I'm sure the problem of snipe will get sorted. I have to say though, this is the first snipe problem with the 733 i've heard of. A case of bad luck on your part unfortunately. Hope it gets sorted.

cheers,
jon.

thanks everyone for the tips. I have dug-deep and purchased the 733 - initial tests look good, with it working straight out of the box, i will get to know it better over the weekend and post my thoughts.

Sean

:roll:

Back