Anyone used powertooldirect.co.uk

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cd

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I've been looking for an air filter for a while and have settled on the microlene MC400 which powertooldirect have here at about £40 cheaper than anyone else. What I really want to know is if there an ok company to deal with or is there a sting in the tail ?

cd

Barry, these are ceiling mounted air filters mucka. Not the filters for dust extractors :wink:

cd, the only thing I notice about them is that in the first part of the description it says it cleans down to 1 micron, then later in the specs it says .4 micron. Which is it???

Just my tuppenceworth.
mark

Hi cd,

I bought a drill from power tools direct earlier this year. It was quite a bit cheaper than anywhere else. I rang them to order it as I didn't trust their website to put the order though. This is when I found out the drill had to be ordered in. I waited a few weeks for it and eventually it arrived. Apart from having to wait for it I don't remember having any problems with the service. Also I don't think I was billed until they had the drill in their hands.

Dave

I ordered new filters for the RSDE1 a few months back. Heard nothing from them for a few days. I phoned them up, the cartridge filter I also ordered wasn't in stock so was holding up my whole order. I told them to cancel it so I could get the sub micron filters and received them the very next day. I think nowadays they really should have notified me sooner, or had up to date stock notices on their website, but all in all they were friendly and helpful on the phone and delivered very quickly when they had everything.

Pecker":2ldgo262 said:
then later in the specs it says .4 micron. Which is it???
mark

I actually says .04 of a micron, which is 40 nanometres :shock: - seems very unbelievable to me.

I've never understood air cleaners that don't filter below what most 'good' dust extractors filter to anyway. Surely 0.5 micron would be more useful for an air cleaner...

Davy, I think there MUST be a typo there, as you say .04 is just a tad fine!!! :?

I was under the impression that it was below 1 micron that was most dangerous ( lets not get too techie here), so personally I probably wouldn't be interested in anything that could'nt do below that especially as again you point out most modern extractors do 1 micron anyway.

Though... I suppose that if you have a basic bag system that is the "traditional" 5 micron, then anything must be an improvement. But Then I think I 'd sooner upgrade the filter anyway...

Am I rambling here? :shock: Quick, another glass of wine... :roll:

Mark

I agree, theres not much point in relying on an air cleaner for collecting all the dust as the chances are you'll breathe in the most harmful dust before it gets collected by the air cleaner, which is really meant to clear the air after you've left.

Best bet is to just upgrade the filters on your extractor to 0.5 microns (and ensure it provides adequate air movement to collect it all - 800CFM+) and then a sub micron air filter to collect anything that isn't collected by the extractor.

But I don't think anyone here wants another dust extraction rant... :lol:

Thanks for the replies,
The details on the powertool direct site arn't too clear but you can read the specs at the microclene site if your interested. This is really for cleaning the air rather than dust extraction. I get a very dusty workshop sanding at the lathe and while I'm ok wearing my airshield, I would like to take it off from time to time :)
looks like its worth phoning them before I make an order to check stock. There prices do seem very good though :shock:

cd

Hi cd
Let us know what happens as I was looking to get a Trend Airsheild from them as they do it with an extra battery for £149 I think :)

Hi cd

Some months ago I purchased a DeWalt mitre saw stand from them. It was on special offer at the time. They stated the number of days it would take to deliver and it came within the time stated, well packed too. It is the only item that I have purchased from them. They do tend to have good offers from time to time. I was on their email list and received the above offer which at the time was 99.99 I believe.

Cheers Con

I have used them a few times, with delivery as promised. I did phone them for a Dewalt accessory, with the reply that if it wasn't on their list then they don't supply it. I did point out that it was an add-on to my previous purchase, but they didn't want to entertain obtaining the part for me. I assumed from that their stock was limited in range.

hi cd, must say i am a little confused. you are seeming to want some
kind of extraction, but asking about a filter. the two are different.

would have thought you need a complete unit like for instance the
jet, or microclene box with a built in filter, or design something
to go round your lathe and extract some of the dust.

maybe if you restated what you actually want it would be easier to
help, since you have not actually stated.

paul :wink:

engineer one":1cgupv1m said:
hi cd, must say i am a little confused. you are seeming to want some
kind of extraction, but asking about a filter. the two are different.

Hi Paul,
Sorry if I wasnt too clear. I'm specifically looking for the microclene mc400 air filter. I have dust extraction around the lathe but this is never perfect with big spinny things sending dust in all directions especially while power sanding. I use a powered respirator to protect myself but the air in the workshop takes a while to clear so I'm looking to get an air filter as the next (final ?) part of a overall dust control system.
I was only really enquiring about the supplier (powertooldirect.co.uk) as I'd never used them before and wondered as to what there service etc was like.
Hope this makes more sense
Thanks again to all for the replies I am going to call the today

Colin C":1cgupv1m said:
Hi cd
Let us know what happens as I was looking to get a Trend Airsheild from them as they do it with an extra battery for £149 I think :)

Will do :) and I would definitely recommend the Airshield, expensive but one of the best things I think I've bought. Cool air on your face in the summer was lovely :lol:

cd

Colin C":3t08321n said:
Hmm, I was looking at that. My suspicious mind immediately wondered how come they're that much cheaper than anyone else and I worry. So can anyone explain the (possibly important) difference between this £140 one (1 battery) and this £165 one (1 battery) and why does one mention the UK and the other one doesn't...? I'm not familiar with Trend stuff, and I know they do differences in router models depending on warranty and so forth; anyone know what the answer is in this case?

Cheers, Alf

Back