Anyone used Kreg router table?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harrison85

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if anyone has used the precision router table by Kreg? Haven't the skills to make my own atm but was wondering if it would be worth a shot? How does it perform and what is the build quality like? Any comments would be helpful.

Thanks and all the best,

Dan

The Kreg router table gets a mention in this podcast which was brought to my attention by another UKW member, it's well worth watching

Stew

Hi Dan

I've used the Kreg table for nearly 4 years now. It works. Build quality is great. I would definitely invest in the locking castors if you're going to get one.

If you fancy a trip over to Brecon, you're welcome to try mine out.

Dan

Thanks for the link Stew, such a helpful podcast - really good demo. Amazing how the router table can be used to edge side and end grain, so versatile. Definitely consider getting this.

Thanks again

Dan

Dan

I would take up the offer of danielhuw before you leap into buying one of these Kreg tables. Perhaps his is a better quality build than mine.

I bought the Kreg table, fence and stand from Axy about three years ago and was quite pleased with it to start with but I can safely say that I wouldn't buy another one.

All was well until I had a bash at jointing on it by offsetting the outfeed split fence – a fairly clever system is used. I noticed that, instead of having nice straight sticks, they were actually bowed. Having returned the fence to its normal flat profile, I then put a long straight edge against the fence. Oh dear me. It turns out that the beefy extrusion isn’t straight! It veers off by about 2mm from the centre (where the cutter slot starts) to the end of the fence. No amount of trying to straighten it in a large record vice has worked, so I glued on two strips of very thin copper sheet to shim it out. This was only a temporary measure as I have now made and fitted a one piece oak fence that has several allen key adjusters on it to make it straight.

I've had to shim the underside of the top to get it somewhere near flat. I don't remember it ever getting wet but it has definitely bowed over the short time i've had it.

The other problem I have had with the table is with the insert plate. I seem to be forever having to level it. If the workpiece isn’t catching the insert plate then it’s catching table. The levelling system seems bomb proof enough but I think the insert plate isn’t robust enough to be completely stable.

I would save your money and have a bash at making your own. There are loads of utube vids, downloadable plans on t'internet and some great builds from members can be found on this forum.

Oz

I would and did make my own. A flat surface with a hole in is a beginning. You can use a 2x3 for a fence or take one off another machine. No grooves to weaken and distort the table.
PICT0183.jpg

This is my small table. The larger one has an Incra jig fence and accessories.

Back