Anyone use Whatsapp group chat ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColeyS1

Established Member
Reaction score
If somebody starts a group chat can they automatically add me to the chat or do I have to accept the invitation, do I get the option to decline/ignore it ? I hung up my partying shoes almost 11 years ago but its still difficult for some of my old mates to accept those days are over. I still enjoy speaking one on one to them, but if I had a group of them trying to bend my ear it would get on my nerves.
If there was an option to "automatically decline all group chats" I'd get it straight away. Snapchat is my go to app, it's just not as popular as WhatsApp.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I don’t think that there is a setting for that (couldn’t find one when I just flicked through the app settings), so you’d have to leave the group straight away or “mute” the group so that you don’t get the notifications.

If you tap on the 3 dots top right hand corner while on a particular group chat page, tap “more” you get the option to “exit group”

I often mute groups when they are annoying me! Usually it's things like kids events. My daughter's brownies group goes mad every now and then when there is a trip coming up or day out. It's bliss and you can then choose when to go and look at the messages.

Why not mute them and see if that helps. You can always leave a couple of week slater if they re still bugging you!

Another ideas might be to put your own suggestions on there. Be in the group and say I've always wanted to visit this pub/restaurant. Who wants to join me on December 1st? But I'm not drinking the town dry!

O.k guys, thanks for your help. I think I'll give it a miss rather than get hassled. Just seems odd you can automatically be added to a group chat without choice.

I just read that a new Whatsapp update stops people from adding you to groups you don't want to be in, says you enable it through the app's privacy settings.

Doug71":cmjxz330 said:
I just read that a new Whatsapp update stops people from adding you to groups you don't want to be in, says you enable it through the app's privacy settings.
That would be bloody fantastic if it is true Doug !!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the heads up. Any idea where you may have read it ?
Woohoo, Thankyou.

Edit, just googled it, will read later on

There’s an option of “Who can add me to groups” with the following options:
-Everyone
-My Contacts
-My Contacts Except...

I’m not sure that will do exactly what you want unless there are particular people who you don’t want to be able to add you to groups. I still don’t think that there’s an option for “ask me before adding me to a group” which is probably what you want.

Back