anyone use Vista???

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevebuk

Established Member
Reaction score
hi
i have twice downloaded a program to this computer and instead of asking me to save/run on downloading it just Zilch-Wedlock off and does its own thing. I can see them both in a folder and when i press for it to unpack and run it unpacks the program, reboots and i cant find the damn program, or mention of it anywhere..

god i wish i had xp back..

Is it something that runs from a right click context menu or part of/addition to a toolbar?

I find IE and Vista work well together, I have never had any problems at all.

My comment to PC users, get hold of an old XP computer, it is so much more usable than W7.
Some of the old software cannot be used on W7 and using and purchasing new software means learning new techniques.

Xp and w7 are excellent I think Vista was Windows dark period just like some of the great painters! :lol:

I have a computer running xp which I installed about four months ago, the hardest bit was finding a useable key.

Adidat

adidat":3gylht9l said:
Xp and w7 are excellent I think Vista was Windows dark period just like some of the great painters! :lol:

One of the guys I work with suggests the rule "only buy the odd-numbered releases of Microsoft products". Unfortunately it's not so clear which ones these are a lot of the time, since they insist on giving them names or year numbers or whatever half the time. Windows 2000 was NTv5, XP v5.1, and Server 2003 was v5.2 (all good OSes), while Vista was NT 6. ;-)

(And everyone I know who's tried Windows 8 suggests that it's a great mobile phone or tablet OS...)

devonwoody":3mgwtggk said:
My comment to PC users, get hold of an old XP computer, it is so much more usable than W7.
Some of the old software cannot be used on W7 and using and purchasing new software means learning new techniques.

You can run most old programmes using the compatibility mode just like you always could. I've yet to have a problem. Just set it to the OS it used to run in and bobs your uncle.

Usually when downloading something it goes to the download folder and is easy to find, but for some files they seem to be saved in a temporary folder in the temp files folder - often this subfolder is named with a meaningless string of letters and numbers. Although with Firefox you get the option to say where stuff is downloaded, it is all too easy to just click OK on the location the system proposes.

Misterfish

Couldn't agree more regarding only use odd number releases. The rule doesn't quite work with the early releases as they were all bad but since Win 95 it's been true. It will be interesting to see what happens with Win 8, I heard that it could well be a bit of a dog. If so that would be a big blow to Nokia who have pinned their hopes on Microsoft pulling it off.

Having never missed out on a build version of windows since 3.1 I have never had any major issues with the OS.

In fact most issues have come from User error rather than anything else in my experience.

Latest posts

Back