Anyone use one of these?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bod

Established Member
Reaction score
A Tragonic controller.
IMG_0071.JPG
voltage1 001.jpg
IMG_0069.JPG

My latest late father-in-Law find.
There is no indication of age, except its, 3 square pin plug and socket.
It appears to be a variable resistor for single phase mains electricity. The instruction leaflet is in 6 european languages, so was expected to sell widely.

Should I plug it in to try it?

Bod

More like a dimmer switch. Unfortunate name - all I can think of is ‘tragic electronics’. Having said that, my wife once bought a charging point called ‘CrazyFire’ so names aren’t everything...

The correct answer would probably be - get it PAT tested first.

The realistic answer: Check flexes for damage, and plugs for correct wiring and fusing. Make sure the earth is continuous all the way through.

Plug in a tool on bypass first, then experiment with the variable speed. Make sure it’s a brush motor!

From the blurb and the photo, the terms 'solid state' and 'SCR' strongly suggest this is an electronic device like a lamp dimmer - not a rheostat.
PS +1 for the safety tips already posted above

I was brave, I took the back off....
IMG_0072.JPG

Not exactly current state of the art.
Still not pluged it in.

Bod

Yes, essentially a dimmer switch. Old point-to-point wiring, but flex in modern colours.

Send it in to BigClive.

It looks like a speed controller. Switched to 'Lo' will allow voltage(speed) to be controlled by rotary dial and 'Hi' will by-pass rotary controller and run machine at full speed

Those carbon comp resistors are pretty old.
May have been rewired at some point?
As long as the earth is intact I'd happily plug it in and test with a lamp. Don't exceed the max current draw, although the resistors may be there to help with that.

Latest posts

Back