Anyone seen "The Woodworker" magazine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cutting Crew

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Up until a few months ago I was sent copies of "The Woodturner" magazine, this ceased publication and was then incorporated with "The Woodworker".

For the last two months I have been watching the newsagents shelves but never seen it, anyone know when it comes out?

Regards....Mike

Hi Mike

Are you are looking in WHS? If so, they might have implemented their policy of not stocking woodworking magazines.

Cheers
Neil

Its odd, some branches of WH Smiths do still have woodworking mags. The size of the store is no guide, Sudbury and Stevenage both have a good selection, Stevenage store is twice the size of Sudburys.

It comes out about the 20th of each month, Shrewsbury WHS still stock it but have certainly cut down their range of magazines in general; I can no longer get FWW there for instance.

I think it is the same for all the woodworking magazines, for some reason they have decided to reduce their stock. It took 4 trips to different newsagents to get a copy of GWW, so I could read Philly's article :wink: .

Keith

waterhead37":34egd6lc said:
WHS is a short step away from bankruptcy. I think their decisions on stock are taken with this firmly in mind.

Maybe time to spent the couple of pounds and my loyalty card then. :shock:

DaveL":2dqjmja9 said:
waterhead37":2dqjmja9 said:
WHS is a short step away from bankruptcy. I think their decisions on stock are taken with this firmly in mind.

Maybe time to spent the couple of pounds and my loyalty card then. :shock:
Zoicks! :shock: Good point well made, that man.

Can I recommend the delights of the independant newsagent for magazines? Once you've persuaded them the rag in question actually exists, they'll be able to get it for you no probs. I've acquired both FWW and PWW that way in the past. FWIW.

Cheers, Alf

Must be Dejavu - I brought my first copy ever of this magazine today, and i must say its one of the best i've read for some time some great articles ironically picked mine up from WH in Stevenage 8), about to send my £10.00 off a copy of the skeleton clock plans

Tony

I used to subscribe to The Woodturner and received my renewal form for my subscription last year, four weeks before my next issue was due. I then discovered, from another source, that the mag. was to be incorporated with The Woodworker. The publishers were obviously well aware of this but there was no such indication on my renewal invitation! :evil: I felt a little bit 'conned' in that if I had renewed, I would have received a mag. totally different to what I was expecting! I informed the publishers accordingly and did not renew my sub. I don't like being 'had over'!

Nevertheless, I have since bought a couple of issues, including the latest issue off the shelf from a small independent newsagent in Leominster last week, and, liking the content, may well subscribe to it. (A Gold Star to our own Keith S. :wink: )

Cheers,

Trev.

Tis strange that the small WHS near to where I work stocks WW Mags but the large one in Loughborough does not. Even so my local paper shop will get them in for me.

Bean

Thanks Trev, I think The Woodworker has improved a lot since it amalgamated with The Woodturner. I know Mark is getting more material to publish and is able to be more choosy. Philly and I wrote an article about the Excalibur a couple of months ago but there isn't space in the magazine for it until the magazine which comes out in April.

Mark has also commissioned me to write some much more in depth articles, like the plane one in this months magazine. It took nearly 2 months. My latest has taken over a month so far and I still haven't been able to set everything up yet. It'll be Christmas at this rate before it gets published :shock: and I get paid :lol:

Keith

Hello All,

When I first posted this thread almost three weeks ago I couldn't find TheWoodworker magazine anywhere, it's still the same today.

I had asked my local newsagents to get me a copy but he couldn't get hold of one, thinking he wasn't looking hard enough I asked two more larger shops to get me the mag, still the same problem.

I've come to the decision that there's not enough woodworkers in Derbyshire to warrant stocking the mag although almost every other mag is available including some from America.

Regards....Mike

Hi Mike
Have you thought about subscibing? cheaper and regular (not the 'murrican meaning).

Must come up and see you some time... pinch ideas and scrounge wood :oops:

Hi Mike,
you want to try the newsagents on nottingham road in Derby at the traffic lights they stock all the woodworking mags but you have to get them within a few days of them comeing out as they are very popular.

All the best,

Rosco ( Chris )

Cutting Crew":23dgcj1m said:
Hello All,

When I first posted this thread almost three weeks ago I couldn't find TheWoodworker magazine anywhere, it's still the same today.

I had asked my local newsagents to get me a copy but he couldn't get hold of one, thinking he wasn't looking hard enough I asked two more larger shops to get me the mag, still the same problem.

I've come to the decision that there's not enough woodworkers in Derbyshire to warrant stocking the mag although almost every other mag is available including some from America.

Regards....Mike

Back